Author Topic: "Honest cooks" Indian recipes  (Read 4375 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
"Honest cooks" Indian recipes
« on: November 30, 2020, 07:05 PM »
From the same team as the 16th-century vindaloo, the "one-pot Indian chicken curry" looks worth investigating.  There is a lovely bit in the voice-over at 02:36 where she says "... and cook it 'till your kitchen smells like Indian food" !  The chicken masala has some interesting ingredients, too :  equal quantities of turmeric, amchoor, mace powder, dry ginger powder, Kashmiri red chilli powder, nigella seeds, and black salt.  Also their Royal Egg looks interesting.

And I am delighted to be able to report that they have very kindly agreed to take on board my request for a traditional murgh-e-mussalam recipe (whole spring chicken stuffed with keema and boiled eggs), and will be looking into producing one in due course.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 10:08 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: "Honest cooks" Indian recipes
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 06:29 AM »
How did you go Phil?

I'm doing the one-pot chicken curry now.  I assumed the Nigella seed is ground with the other powders although it may not make a lot of difference.  I've cooked about 1.5 kg of chicken thigh cutlets (bone in) instead of 1.5 lb so I upped the other spices, onions and tomatoes accordingly (as I determined to be adequate).  It smells and tastes pretty good at this stage.

Update: A very nice basic chicken curry which will be better tomorrow.  Well worth trying. I'm also going to give their Samosa recipe a try.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 10:05 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 10:12 PM »
Made the one-pot curry twice now, and reported on the first attempt here.  I will report on the second attempt in the same thread.
** Phil.

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 01:29 AM »
Firstly, thanks Phil for transcribing the recipe.  My window of opportunity to cook this took a while longer than thought, but was able to make this tonight.
A perfectly passable curry, redolent of many dishes I enjoyed in India.  Had to reduce the sauce quite a bit to get the consistency where I wanted but the result was very good. Enjoyed with plain basmati (6 min boil then 30 mins in 175 deg F oven), garlic naan, and a good couple of glasses of Bar Dog red blend. I think the missis would enjoy this dish too, although I could?ve done with more heat.
Tomorrow will probably be even better, just a question of do I have for breakfast or lunch or dinner. Might add a little Mr. Naga to spice things up a bit.

Next to try the vindaloo from the same people.

Robbo

©2024 Curry Recipes