Author Topic: Madras curries and other information  (Read 8101 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Madras curries and other information
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2020, 07:58 PM »
I'd have to agree and it takes me back to my initial mental dilemma with BIR mixed powders.  However, nearly all are based on using a 'curry powder' and other spices to make a different 'mixed powder'.  I simply had to accept it and move forward.   I always asked why you couldn't simply make it from scratch and of course, you could. Most don't and so to get the same result we do the same.  If you wanted to make a powder that uses a 'curry powder' from individual spices, you'd need to know the ratio of spices in the brand curry powder. They don't give that out.

Of course I'm not getting the same thing anyway because I don't have access to Rajah.  Whether this is significant is unknown.

Korma/Madras/Vindaloo as chilli heat indicators?
My daughter's friends recently moved and sampled the local Indian which has dishes in 5 heat levels.  Mild, regular, hot, super hot and blistering. They tried all mild the first time and felt they could go hotter. Second time they bought just 1 regular dish and couldn't eat it.  Nothing spoils a curry for someone more than too much chilli heat.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2020, 08:06 PM »
I prefer the smell of the "Old India" brand that's available on Amazon, but not in supermarkets.

Would that be the same curry powder as this chap was asking about ?
** Phil.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2020, 08:30 PM »
That is the Ship Brand.  Old India is on Amazon UK in a plastic bag with white label in mild, medium and hot.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2020, 08:47 PM »
The thing is that as good a curry as can be cooked at home (by me) using all of the known methods, ingredients and skills learned here, and elsewhere, is still somehow not as good as the one you buy at your favourite restaurant or takeaway. It wasn't in 2005. It wasn't in 2013 when I joined up here, and it still isn't today.  Others will disagree but that is my experience.  I can make very nice curries.  There is still something missing.  The shop dishes are just richer, deeper, have a better mouth feel, are more aromatic and are just simply better than home cooked. How or why? We still don't know.

"+1", as I understand the younger persons say ...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 09:52 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline CurryManUKs

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2020, 10:02 AM »
I prefer the smell of the "Old India" brand that's available on Amazon, but not in supermarkets.

Would that be the same curry powder as this chap was asking about ?
** Phil.

This one.

I've decided to pick a powder from East End, TRS or MDH Kitchen King. Has anyone tried any of them?

Offline CurryManUKs

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2020, 10:05 AM »
I'm satisfied with the madras I make and it's a very straightforward one, similar to chewytikka's. I just want to make sure I'm not missing out on a better curry powder because I much prefer OI to Rajah! I suppose it's a case of "ignorance is bliss".  :wink:

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2020, 10:42 AM »
If you are happy with the dish you cook, that's what matters.  Kitchen King is not a Madras curry powder. It contains up to 24 different spices.  This is not to say don't try it.  I have tried several, including MDH, and made my own.  It will give your curry a lift for sure.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2020, 10:53 AM »
I've decided to pick a powder from East End, TRS or MDH Kitchen King. Has anyone tried any of them?

All three are reputable brands, I use individual spices (and some blends) from all of them, but I have no recent experience of their curry powders.  Kitchen King, as Livo says, is not a curry power
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 12:29 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2020, 12:47 PM »
I was looking at my spice mix recipe and was going to say I don't use any commercial curry powder - but then I noticed I add a little garam masala.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2020, 07:53 PM »

Bith East End and TRS are excellent, CMUK-my local Turkish grocers sell just them!

©2024 Curry Recipes