Author Topic: Masala dosa  (Read 1347 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Masala dosa
« on: February 03, 2021, 06:24 PM »
Probably my fourth attempt, and I think that I can finally claim success on this occasion.  MTR dosa mix with extra whole fenugreek seeds and salt, left to ferment for several hours rather than the five minutes stated but otherwise to spec., then thinned with just a little water and whisked immediately before cooking; MTR sambar mix, made about 1/2 as thick as recommended with added mustard seeds and softened curry leaves; simple potato and onion stuffing, with just a little carrot for colour, cooked with salt, turmeric, black mustard seeds, softened curry leaves and a little hing.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 09:31 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Masala dosa
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 10:56 PM »
Nice one Phil, I love masala dosa but never tried making them. First time I had them was I think in Ahmedabad and no kidding it must?ve been 18? long.  So tasty.  Need to give that a go.

Robbo

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 06:46 AM »
Yes, the ones from Sunny Spice are huge as well, but I am increasingly coming to the view that as a take-away they just don't work (they get too soggy), which is why I am trying to replicate them at home.  My dosa cooker is only 14" in diameter, but I find that that is large enough.

** Phil.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 07:01 AM »
Looking good, Phil. A 14" horn of plenty! Maybe "only" potato and onion, but I bet it was filling. Perhaps some green chilli too?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 07:49 AM »
No chilli on this occasion, Onions, but I may well try adding a little in the future.  Thank you for the suggestion !
** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes