Author Topic: Time to try another kind of base  (Read 4833 times)

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Time to try another kind of base
« on: February 03, 2021, 11:14 PM »
Mrs Robbo is away to see grandkids in a couple of weeks, leaving me to house-sit the cats. Also gives me the opportunity to eat much more curry than normal, and much hotter too.  I?m down to just a couple of Syed?s base gravy portions so need a new batch. Quite by chance, I was looking at recipes on Romain?s website and noticed a number of dishes described as ?Indian hotel style? along with the usual ?Indian restaurant style?.
He has a different base for the hotel curries, so I gave that a bash.  Cooked 3lb onions down for an hour to make a rich dark brown mush that could only have been 1/2? deep in the bottom of my Le Crueset pan at the end.
Made 6 portions of 1 cup size.  Will report back during Feb when the missis has abandoned me. I did try the gravy itself and it was delicious on its own.  Looking forward to trying something new.

Link here: https://glebekitchen.com/hotel-style-indian-curry-gravy/

Robbo

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Time to try another kind of base
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 10:42 AM »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 10:55 AM »
Indian Hotel cooking is a whole new area. Check this Robbo.
https://setupmyhotel.com/train-my-hotel-staff/chef-training/707-basic-indian-gravy-standard-recipe.html

I was initially extremely cynical.  Then I visited the site and thought "there may be something to this, after all".  Then I read :
BLACK CARDAMOM   0.002   GMS
2mg of cardamom ?  Something seriously wrong there.  And BLACK CARDAMOM is not an isolated instance; ".00x" fractions of a gram appear in many places.  Now I don't know what to think.

** Phil.

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 01:19 PM »
Probably better to look over the recipes on Romain?s website in my opinion.
Those ?measures? on the hotel website are possibly a result of the creator not having English as their first language?  Mentioning ?guest stationary? etc is a clue there I think.  Fractions of a gram?  A typo? Whatever, not much use.

https://glebekitchen.com/naga-chicken-tikka-curry-indian-hotel-style/
This is first on my list. Paid $20 for a jar of Mr. Naga and well worth it.

Robbo

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 05:54 PM »
Am I right in saying Glebe Kitchen is Romain's site?

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 06:49 PM »
Yes, it is Garp.

The measures on the hotel site are clearly just the wrong units. 0.002 kg = 2 g = 1 black cardamom. Not too difficult.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 09:27 AM »
Still not 100% convinced (that the site is truly well informed, that is).  Consider PANEER 0.477 KG.  Now who in their right mind would quote a quantity of paneer to an accuracy of 0.2% ?  Any amount of paneer from (say) 460 to 490 gm would probably be close enough, and certainly any amount from 475 to 480 gm.  So there has been some mechanical conversion involved in the generation of the web page.  But from what units ?  Converting 477gm to ounces (16.8) [1], tol

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2021, 10:18 AM »
I'd call it for a pound but a half kg would do.  They probably had a 1 pound block of paneer and threw it on an Indian  kitchen scale.  The cow could have had a good day.  A pint isn't 600 ml and a litre isn't a quart but Zebu probably doesn't know that.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2021, 10:36 AM »
Vaguely related (and somewhat amusing).  My wife complained that the "go" stones that I had bought her were considerably inferior to mine, and after comparing them I was forced to agree. In order to be able to adduce some facts to the vendor as the basis of my complaint, I weighed my go stones and found that they were on average 2.2 gm.  I telephoned my wife and asked her how much hers weighed (they felt considerably lighter than mine).  "I don't know", she said, "what do I have that is capable of weighing to one-tenth of a gram ?".  "I don't know what you have in the way of scales or balances", I replied, "but how many stones do you have of each colour ?".  "180 of each", she replied [correctly].  "So why not weigh all 180 and then divide by 180 ?", I asked.  She has, I would point out, three degrees, the first alone being in "Mathematics for business" !

** Phil.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 11:25 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2021, 03:22 PM »
Had to google ?go stones?.
Never tried that particular game. Looks similar to Othello I remember from childhood?
I?m a chess man myself.

Robbo

©2024 Curry Recipes