Author Topic: couple of videos  (Read 6955 times)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
couple of videos
« on: February 25, 2021, 08:10 PM »
Hi people,

I haven't posted anything for some time, although I do usually have a nose around from time to time to see what's happening. I'm still obsessed with everything BIR and am always on the hunt for any new info, thought I'd share a couple of things I've found that may be of interest. The first one caught my attention, the guy looks to be an old master at making curry, I would imagine the whole spices in the recipe would produce a very tasty gravy. Never seen cashew nut go into a gravy, I would guess if that's how he did it in his restaurant then the nut content would be a problem for any allergy sufferers though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpqMBueLBtI&t=4s

This guy is also very good, here he actually cooks a full size base gravy. Notice the garlic tarka he adds at the end, similar to how I was shown in one of my restaurant  lessons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCiAX8xfTBM

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: couple of videos
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 08:13 PM »
Many thanks for those, JB.  I am increasingly convinced that adding whole spices is, if not "the secret", at least a reliable and consistent way of improving the flavour of one's curries.  I shall be watching the videos with great interest.

** Phil.

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 08:24 PM »
I can't believe the amount of forums, videos, facebook sites etc that are now out there sharing info about BIR cooking, When I think back to when I started cooking(over 30 years ago) there was very little stuff available and really no dedicated cook books.
I do wonder though how many of these authors have actually set foot in a genuine kitchen and know what really goes on. Having said that there is now a lot of great info readily available for free and a lot of great youtube videos...particularly like Syeed's videos and techniques.

Sadly my own local takeaway(the one where I was allowed in the kitchen) has rapidly gone downhill. The chef has moved on, portions have got smaller and the food is really not as good. Literally had the worst keema naan bread I've ever had recently-time to move on. I do however have another takeaway that's reopened not far away-the place doesn't look that good from the outside but the food is wonderful. I'm now quite good friends with chef so hopefully another kitchen visit maybe on the cards!

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 09:04 PM »
The things I most noted in Chef Abdul Salam's video was (a) how little cassia bark he used (I normally use five times that amount) and (b) how totally unfazed he was about the possibility of burning the spices, at least in the earlier of the two videos.  In the latter (tarka) video he did make mention of the risk, and advised how to avoid it.  Not sure I will make his quantities, but I will most certainly be trying his methods.

** Phil.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 11:29 PM »
He also says that the Tarka of the powdered spices along with the Tomato Puree is where the taste and aroma come from.

The thing I noticed was the 2 TBSP of ground Mustard seed.  First time I've seen any in a Base Gravy.  This is obviously a different Youtube account to his previous one with the Bengali Beef Curry and other dishes that "weren't BIR".  I really enjoyed the Beef Curry anyhow.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 10:49 AM »
Sadly my own local takeaway(the one where I was allowed in the kitchen) has rapidly gone downhill. The chef has moved on, portions have got smaller and the food is really not as good.

Two Indian restaurants/take-aways have opened locally in the short time I have lived in Cornwall, and I think I am starting to detect a pattern.  A new BIR business opens, a team of top chefs are (metaphorically) flown in to launch the business, and they are tasked with (a) establishing a first-class reputation for the business, and (b) training a team of sous-chefs who will take over from them.   The reputation is established, the top chefs move on (their job done), leaving behind a team of sous-chefs who are either poorly trained or simply not capable of emulating the team of top chefs who taught them.  Result, an immediate deterioration in the quality of the food, evidenced by (a) beef instead of lamb in a clearly-marked "lamb biryani" in establishment 1, and (b) greasy, semi-sticky and poorly coloured pulao rice in establishment 2.  I will continue to stick with (2) for now, but am becoming increasingly despondent about the whole d@mned thing ...

** Phil.

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 11:05 AM »
Noticed same pattern / theme here in South Manchester - but with Turkish kebab shops. Same guy has opened several in a short space of time and sold out / moved on fairly quickly after they were established / popular.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2021, 01:30 PM »
I am planning to ask the young lady behind the counter in establishment 2 whether there has indeed been a partial (or full) replacement of the chef team since the establishment opened in late 2020.  She may not be willing to tell me, but if she asks why, I will tell her about the pulao rice ...

** Phil.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2021, 04:55 PM »
Sadly my own local takeaway(the one where I was allowed in the kitchen) has rapidly gone downhill. The chef has moved on, portions have got smaller and the food is really not as good.

Sad to hear  Vindaloo has now joined the ranks of many of our local curry houses.  Their brinjal bhaji was one of the best I have tasted.  In spite of the poor Keema naan, you certainly took away more than just their food and shared every bit of it with us.  I do hope the other local TA you refer to is not "Captain Korma"  :omg:

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2021, 07:22 AM »

Sad to hear  Vindaloo has now joined the ranks of many of our local curry houses.  Their brinjal bhaji was one of the best I have tasted.  In spite of the poor Keema naan, you certainly took away more than just their food and shared every bit of it with us.  I do hope the other local TA you refer to is not "Captain Korma"  :omg:

Hi Curryhell glad to see you're still about.No not the Captain Korma-I have tried that and wasn't that impressed,the standard has certainly dropped in most places round here.

The one in question is called The Burning Desire in Tilbury.Not much to look at from the outside but the food is lovely.

©2024 Curry Recipes