Author Topic: Syed's seekh kebabs re-visited.  (Read 4846 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Syed's seekh kebabs re-visited.
« on: March 11, 2021, 05:50 PM »
It is now nine months since Syed first released his recipe for seekh kebabs on Youtube, and from the very outset they proved a revelation for me.  Since then I have made a few (very minor) tweaks, and I can now say with 100% confidence that his recipe gives perfect results time after time after time.  So much so, in fact, that I would go as far as to say that they are the only BIR dish that I can cook with absolute certainty that they will turn out as intended.  The recipe attached is 99% Syed's, to whom all credit
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 11:26 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Syed's seekh kebabs re-visited again.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 08:11 PM »
After my last fiasco (using a food processor instead of a Kenwood Major with K-blender to process the lamb), I have not ventured to make a further batch, still having one portion of the over-blitzed lamb in the refrigerator.  However, in one of Aldi/Lidl recently I noticed that they had what they described as "minted lamb kebabs" at a very reasonable price, so I bought a pack of four with the intention of trying to convert them into seekh kebabs.  This evening I finally felt motivated to have a go, and made up a batch of the spice mix from (my version of) Syed's seekh kebab recipe.  It turned out that there was just sufficient to coat all four kebabs evenly, and I then popped them back into the 'fridge while I did some other things (like watering the garden).  Then on with the Tepro, put two kebabs about 1/3 of the way down, flame on tickover, a drizzle of chilli oil, a few rotations and all was ready for testing/tasting.  I discovered fairly early on that you can't put wooden skewers under a Tepro grill (stupid boy !), but fortunately they were not so badly charred that I could not pull them free — when I cook the remaining pair, I will substitute long steel skewers for the wooden skewers on which the kebabs came.  Overall I was pleasantly surprised —much less hassle than cooking seekh kebabs from scratch, and the contrast between the outer spicy layers and the inner unmarinaded lamb in no way detracted from the dish.  I shall report back again when I have cooked the remaining two, in a day or so's time.
--
** Phil.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 12:12 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

©2024 Curry Recipes