Author Topic: Oil or Ghee  (Read 13790 times)

Offline King Prawn

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Oil or Ghee
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 06:14 PM »
I agree, it's healthy and the flavour in most dishes won't be affected (maybe on milder ones but worht a try for the health concious)

KP(V)

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 11:04 PM »
Think like indians use the the cheapest !
So if you want the right taste leave Olive oil alone (for curry anyway) 
Layne  ;)

Offline King Prawn

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 06:03 PM »
Sorry guys, but here is a video of a restaurant chef using olive oil to cook CTM! :P ;) ;D

http://ifood.tv/node/1543

KP(V)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 07:31 PM »
Thats me convinced  :P

Offline NairB

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 10:54 PM »
You can get tubs of 0% cholesterol ghee from the local pakistani shops.

Is there really such a thing as 0%  ??? Wonder how much that changes the taste.

According to one guy in those shop he says that most BIRs in Glasgow will use it for there curries......is he telling a small porky pie (lie) perhaps  :P

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2007, 02:58 AM »
Sorry guys, but here is a video of a restaurant chef using olive oil to cook CTM! :P ;) ;D

Yeah, but this appears to be an Indian chef in an America restaurant KP?!   ::)

I have to say that the CTM looks very runny and not up to much either (IMHO)  :P  Did you also notice how he seems to be using bottled garlic and ginger purees too? 

HAVING SAID THAT:

I've done a little research and found some things about Olive Oil that suprised me (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooking_oil:o

• It seems that Olive Oil actually has a higher smoke point (ranging from 207C for Extra Virgin to 242C for Extra Light) than clarified butter/ghee (190C)!  :o
  • Extra Light Olive Oil (242C) actually appears to have a higher smoke point than Canola Oil (238C)!  :o
  • The smoke point of Extra Light Olive Oil (242C) is almost as high as Sunflower Oil (246C)!  :o

Therefore, I guess the main objection to using EXTRA LIGHT Olive Oil are its relatively high cost and distinctive smell and taste.  If you can live with that, go for it, although any other highly refined (i.e. high smoke point and blander), unsaturated (i.e. healthier), cooking oils will also be options to consider (i.e. which may be cheaper and with a less distinctive taste and smell).

It seems to me that we should still avoid using the other types of Olive Oil because their smoke points (207 to 225C) are significantly lower than alternative oils (and they are still more expensive and with that distinctive taste and smell).

I also presume that ghee is used primarily for its flavour and NOT for its high smoke point (as I certainly previously thought!).  :o

And, after all of that, I shall be sticking with cheap vegetable oil....as the BIRs do...using butter ghee on naans and as a late addition (for flavour) to CTMs, etc  :P

Regards,
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 03:07 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2007, 03:23 AM »
Hi NB,

As I understand it, you only get cholestrol from food from animals, not from food from plants.  Therefore, this is probably vegetable ghee that he's talking about?

Vegetable oils will also be cholestrol free.

Regards,

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2007, 03:36 AM »
Just as a point of interest on this subject -

Some plant foods are also high in saturated fats, including coconut and coconut oil, palm oil, and palm kernel oil. Saturated fats raise total blood cholesterol levels more than dietary cholesterol because they tend to boost both good HDL and bad LDL cholesterol. The net effect is negative, meaning it's important to limit saturated fats.
Trans fats are even worse for cholesterol levels than saturated fats because they raise bad LDL and lower good HDL. They also fire inflammation, producing an overactivity of the immune system that has been implicated in heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and other chronic conditions. While you should limit your intake of saturated fats, it is important to eliminate trans fats from partially hydrogenated oils from your diet.

Offline King Prawn

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2007, 08:31 AM »
I also presume that ghee is used primarily for its flavour and NOT for its high smoke point (as I certainly previously thought!).  :o

And, after all of that, I shall be sticking with cheap vegetable oil....as the BIRs do...using butter ghee on naans and as a late addition (for flavour) to CTMs, etc  :P
I think that this is correct about adding flavour. Some dishes need to be cooked in ghee but a lot of restaurants will cook with the cheapest stuff and add a tsp of ghee at the end to enhance (disguise?) the flavour.

Birs I know use a lot of both. Some things benefit from cooking in ghee, others not so. They need a lot of cheap oils for the curry gravy and especially to fill thier deep fat friers.

KP(V)

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2007, 05:07 PM »
Thats me convinced  :P
Sorry CK But I'm Not !
I'm Sticking to the cheap stuff, I have been in a few... 3 BIR kitchens during service and they most certainly didn't use Olive Oil for Any of their dishes.  :-\
T100

©2024 Curry Recipes