Author Topic: Let's Cook with chef Din  (Read 5612 times)

Offline pap rika

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Let's Cook with chef Din
« on: March 28, 2021, 09:54 PM »
Worth a look
                      An award winning chef from Brighton and Howe who claims to be old school. Check out his comments, including those he makes with reference 1970s/80s base sauce
https://youtube.com/c/Let%E2%80%99sCookwithChefDin

regards pap rika

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Cook with chef Din
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 08:19 AM »
A very interesting video Pap, but I'm not sure what you mean about the comments about Base Gravy.  All he said was you're making the base gravy and curry at the same time and I couldn't find anything in the comments.  Looked like a 3 hour cook at least to me.

The things I saw.

First of all it is rare to see a really good "Beef" curry.  I'll be doing this for that reason alone. It looks great.

Was it pink salt or black salt (which is pink)?

I love the way he keeps saying "Don't worry about the oil and fat."  As he demonstrates and makes very clear it can be removed. Although he doesn't actually say it, this is often a criticism of Base Gravy / BIR method. The oil is blended  / emulsified into the dish (ie hidden).

Chilli. He is using Kashmiri Chilli.  Mild. (supposedly)  Interesting to note that 1 or 2 or 3 teaspoons is the difference between a curry, a Madras and a Vindaloo, (while using a mild chilli powder).  Raises my questions about Chilli type out of India and marketing.

The dry curry looks good.  If I added as much water as he does I'd be inclined to reduce it back to the thicker gravy, but I'm not a UK wet gravy guy.

I'm looking forward to trying this and I'll be looking at his other videos.

Thanks for posting.

Offline pap rika

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 04:34 PM »
Hi livo
            Thanks for the response, Looks like this gentleman has been very busy lately. Check out his latest offerings, including his take on base gravy which premieres shortly, hopefully he stays true to his claim of old school and provides a base from the 70/80s era, and not a generic copy.

https://youtu.be/jVg8G1LUTbI

Regards pap rika

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 04:47 PM »
Well, in answer to a question, he did explain that the classic 70s/80s base was made using a broiler fowl, the meat from which was then used to form the basis of the standard curries.  It will certainly be interesting to see if he does indeed make a video of such a base !

I was inspired by his traditional chicken Madras, by the way

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 06:16 PM »
hopefully he stays true to his claim of old school and provides a base from the 70/80s era, and not a generic copy.

As I've argued before on this forum, memories of curries from many years ago don't mean that they were any different or better. Maybe this article will help -

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/power-of-food-memories_n_5908b1d7e4b02655f8413610

This quote sums it up for me:

'That

Offline pap rika

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 07:27 PM »
Won't argue with that Garp, totally agree.
    But what I am hoping to see is a different approach to a base gravy other than what is the accepted norm. I don't believe there is a holy grail in terms of base gravy, But I do believe that the perceived holy grail can be improved upon.

Regards pap rika

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 07:54 PM »
I'll be watching his video. 

I've bought the beef but haven't cooked his beef curry yet.  I'm torn between his beef curry and a massaman.

Edit: I went the Massaman,

https://www.recipetineats.com/massaman-curry/

and I also cooked the Crispy Garlic Chicken.

I have now cooked several different dishes from this site.  This woman is a really good source of simple tasty food.

Now I have to buy more beef.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 09:31 AM by livo »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 09:35 AM »

As I've argued before on this forum, memories of curries from many years ago don't mean that they were any different or better. Maybe this article will help -

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/power-of-food-memories_n_5908b1d7e4b02655f8413610

This quote sums it up for me:

'That

Offline pap rika

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2021, 12:07 PM »
Well the guy has just put up his ingredients list and a brief description of the cooking process, looks like another bog standard base gravy. Had hoped for something more.  :cry:

Regards pap rika

« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 12:32 PM by pap rika »

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2021, 06:28 PM »
While I can't argue that this phenomena exists, there is also the fact that some food is simply not as good as it once was.

Is that a fact or just your belief (particularly in relation to BIR to stay on topic).

©2024 Curry Recipes