Author Topic: Good afternoon!  (Read 4464 times)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Good afternoon!
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 02:25 PM »
I think that should be "if" it becomes to sticky, also Darth tends to go easy on the oil so there would be less liquid in the pan for the g&g puree to move about.

Correct me if I'm wrong though Darth?

cK

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 12:37 PM »
No CK you've got it in one mate  ;)

Hi EL hope i cleared it up in my PM.

I answer to El's question about splitting the base .....

Basically i cook all the Spices, Garlic & Ginger puree in the biggest pot, then put the remaining vegetable ingredients in both pots as they cook & reduce i spoon some of the juices from the big pot into the smaller pot to keep it moist & to transfer the Spice juice over to ensure a more even taste when finally combining/pureeing the two pots (See below).
Close to the end of cooking you should be able to transfer much of the ingredients from the smaller pot to the bigger one.
When you start to puree the ingredients in the bigger pot the liquid level goes down so you can add almost all of the ingredients from the smaller pot to the bigger one.

It is as easy as that, this is why being so particular about measurements makes me laugh, i make bloody good Bir copies of Curries & I'm really slap dash (Chefs Spoon that'll do me  ;D) As long as you make enough to ensure the margin of error just doesn't count, that seems to be the trick & as soon as i started making big batches i noticed a 0 failure rate, unlike before when i made smaller batches, then you can concentrate of the hardest part, getting the final dish right.  8)
I'm not Orthodox, but my method works for me & most who have tried it.....Go for it EL, and you can make any dish you like with the base if you reduse the amount of Chilli powder accordingly.
Also instead of wasting your base that didn't turn out that well, you can make a really nice Stew with it. ;)
One thing to remember though EL many good bases don't always taste that good , many are bland.
Hope this is of use all you peeps.
Cheers for now  :)

Offline El

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 04:17 PM »
Ok, so i had a go at the base again, this time with full quantities.
I made it on Monday night so I hadnt read the advice about splitting into two pans and pouring some of the first pan's juices into the second. So what was i gonna do?
Firstly i drove to my local Asian shop to buy one of those massive 15 litre stock pots but the shop was closed. (bearing in mind that ive just spent ?30 on a 7.5 litre stock pot form debenhams!!)
I was determined to not do it "wrong" so i bobbed into my mum's and nicked her Magimix and purreed all the vegtables, now they fitted into the one pan!!
I was worried that (the fact that u say dice the veg) purreing them would somehow f*ck it all up ofcourse and I simmered only very gently for an hour.
I have to say the resulting stock was a lot better (i think!!). Ive bagged it all and frozen it all and will come back when ive tasted it. In between blending it and bagging it, i kept licking the spoon and i have to say that i think the taste was a lot better than the first time round.
Thanks again Darthphall.

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 10:29 AM »
No probs, the base should taste quite nice as it is, this then helps fortify the second stage of any Curry you make & if you do make slight errors the underlying flavor of the base helps to mask then, this is why this & other slightly more complex tend to give better uniform results.The old margin for error philosophy etc..etc..
Cheers for now.  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes