Author Topic: Chilli Grow 2021  (Read 8992 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chilli Grow 2021
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2022, 01:03 AM »
It's 2022 now but I am approaching the end of the season with winter not too far away.  Our weather this year has been even worse than last year.  The La Nina has caused rain and floods over large areas of the country.  We've had 3 east coast lows within a few months, weeks actually, and we usually get 1 every decade or so.  I have not been able to get near my chilli plants for nearly 3 months.  East coast lows are essentially sub-tropical cyclones and needless to say, the chillies have not faired too well.  With way too much water and barely any sun, I've lost a lot and what survived has not been productive.

I took about 1 kg of mixed chilli peppers to the Indian grocers just before Christmas and just the other day I was able to get to the plants and remove what peppers were there.  I was able to pick nearly 2 kg of mixed peppers of about 10 varieties.  The little Thai Birdseyes are by far the most hardy plant and the yield from just 10 advanced plants was nearly 1 kg.  Some plants are still trying to flower but I'm not hopeful of a late pick.

A few months ago my wife came home with 10 plants she found on a clearance table at the nursery.  They are all super hots of different variety.  Although I don't like them myself, they are a popular item to grow on and sell.  I was hoping to have some to harvest seed for next season, but so far it hasn't worked too well with very little in the way of fruiting.

I'm again hopeful of a mild winter and good survival rates for a head start come spring.

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2022, 02:20 PM »
Peppers by the kilo still sounds good Livo.  I’m looking forward to planting this season.  We don’t  have the luxury of the weather like we had in the Carolinas but summer will be hot, just shorter. Thai chillies are my fave and will definitely be planting those and trying to find Scotch Bonnet seeds.  I’ve been doing Habaneros for years and need a change. Wish I could get Naga seeds too.

Robbo

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2022, 09:48 PM »
What is the bio-security like for post into your area?  I have plenty of seed for Purple Naga Jolokia. I'd be happy to send you a vacuum bag.

I need to put a lot of my chillies into the dehydrator over weekend.

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2022, 01:21 AM »
Not sure, but US not known for their openness to imports of people or products…

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2022, 01:25 AM »
Sent you PM.

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2022, 02:38 PM »
Not sure, but US not known for their openness to imports of people or products…
You can say that again - I was asked by a well known UK cement company to send them a sample of my powder grade foam agent to their American subsidiary. Next thing I got an import enquiry form to complete direct from US Customs. Correspndence went back and to from me to the US Customs over several weeks. The cheeky barstewards demanded I send them my formulation to check ingredient details - I told them in no uncertain terms to FXXX OFF. Cement company gave up on their project.  I wouldn't trust US officialdom not to pass on the formulation to a US manufacturer to cut out foreign supply.  Yanks never do 'owt for nowt.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2022, 03:03 AM »
Upon investigation it was found that this mail exchange of seed is possible, however there would be a fair bit of bureaucracy to get through, presumably at a cost as well.  It would require a testing of the seed through a registered laboratory (possibly CSIRO or Department of Agriculture) to obtain a Phytosecurity certificate here in Australia.  USA has regulation on all Capsicum species to prevent the import of Tomato Virus.  We can't complain about that.

The process on the USA end is apparently fairly simple.  All that is required is an application for a permit. With the said certificate attached there would be no problem.

We have decided against pursuing the process.

©2024 Curry Recipes