Author Topic: Those of you with experience using the Taz base  (Read 3912 times)

Online Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Those of you with experience using the Taz base
« on: May 31, 2021, 08:14 PM »
Hello all
I had my first go at the Taz base, but instead of the slow cooking for an hour, I put everything in the instant pot and pressure cooked for 40 mins, then used the saut? function to simmer after the addition of the tomatoes.  The resulting base is very good.
The first reduction of 200ml I took down to this.  I think it?s about right, ending up with similar consistency of the early stages of the more familiar method.  It took about 10 mins, not too high heat, as I wanted to really pay attention.

Does this consistency look right?

The final resulting curry was OK, definitely in the ?alright but not quite? category.  The base and technique are sound.  I messed this up by adding way too much chicken, as was cooking for me and the missis, but was a very passable curry.

Looking forward very much to using the remaining 7 portions in the freezer.
Vindaloo next and sod the missis.  :lol:

Robbo
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 11:19 AM by Onions »

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Those of you with experience using the Taz base
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 03:50 AM »
At the risk of being shot down in flame....

Base Gravy has always been a liquid... a runny mixture of various ingredients that is then reduced to the desired consistency during cooking of the main ingredients.

What am I missing?

Offline Hugoboss

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 07:59 AM »
 Am I missing something also. Thats a paste not a base gravy ?

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2021, 10:57 AM »
I believe that's the start of the curry (reduced base), not the base gravy itself.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2021, 10:59 AM »
I think that I share Bob & Hugo's confusion.  When I first saw your photographs, Robbo, I assumed that you were seeking to emulate something that Achmal / Taz / Mick had shared early on in this life of the documentation of this base, but when I looked back at the original recipe, I saw nothing resembling your reduction.  Could you please clarify from where you got the idea that the base had to be reduced to this consistency ?
--
** Phil.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 11:21 AM »
I believe that's the start of the curry (reduced base), not the base gravy itself.

The only possible answer... Robbo, did you add the large amount of Water Taz instructs? (2 Litres in their recipe; since you were using less than his six tennis balls of onions, perhaps you reduced the water too far too?)

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 12:15 PM »
I think that I share Bob & Hugo's confusion.  When I first saw your photographs, Robbo, I assumed that you were seeking to emulate something that Achmal / Taz / Mick had shared early on in this life of the documentation of this base, but when I looked back at the original recipe, I saw nothing resembling your reduction.  Could you please clarify from where you got the idea that the base had to be reduced to this consistency ?
--
** Phil.
I'll repeat the picture shows him making the curry, possibly first reduction of the base and other ingredients. No idea what his actual base looks like as it's not shown.

Online Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2021, 12:39 PM »
Sorry gang, my mistake, not taking a pic of the base itself in the pan.
Here?s the remaining base portions.

The dry image in the pan is the first stage reduction.  I read in a Mick / Taz thread.  Take 200ml in the pan and really reduce it to a ?dry? state.  Was just wondering if that was far enough if anyone had used this base.

Robbo

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2021, 12:51 PM »
Ahhhhhhhhh! :like:

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2021, 01:32 PM »
The dry image in the pan is the first stage reduction.  I read in a Mick / Taz thread.  Take 200ml in the pan and really reduce it to a ?dry? state. 

If you can provide a hyperlink to the message in the thread in question, Robbo, I think that would help all round.
** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes