Author Topic: Those of you with experience using the Taz base  (Read 3934 times)

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Those of you with experience using the Taz base
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2021, 03:50 PM »
Phil it (kind of) gets mentioned here by Haldi. One thing though: when I read that I thought he was referring to using hardly any oil before cooking (i.e., so little that the pan's "almost dry" when he starts. But on another read, he could have been talking about a dry paste-like base too...).

Talking of, a shame Haldi hasn't been around for over six months.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2021, 06:01 PM »
Does this consistency look right?

Yes it does.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2021, 06:08 PM »
Phil it (kind of) gets mentioned here by Haldi.

Many thanks, Onions.  After a further exhaustive search, I think that this (by CA) may be the original.
** Phil.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 08:59 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2021, 11:06 PM »
Does this consistency look right?

My apologies Robbo, I did not remember that stage of the cook (and I didn't check).

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2021, 12:18 AM »
Thanks Stephen.  I titled the post aiming for those who?d had experience using the base deliberately but maybe wasn?t clear enough.  Either way, you do start with a completely dry pan and just reduce the base down to a paste. Very different to what I?m used to but very effective. The pressure cooking worked just as well as it does on other bases I?ve tried and the consistency / texture of the finished sauce is on point.  I just need to try it with identical spices and ingredients that have got me close to the BIR I seek.
One thing, I just had the base at room temperature, not warmed in a pan, as I would with my usual BIR base.  Made no difference. If it means one less pan to wash, that?s ok,with me.

Robbo

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2021, 08:33 PM »
I just had the base at room temperature, not warmed in a pan, as I would with my usual BIR base.  Made no difference. If it means one less pan to wash, that's ok,with me.

I think that for the Taz base/methodology, that would make not one iota of difference.  Bases are normally pre-heated so that they don't significantly reduce the heat of the dish to which they are added, but if you are adding to an empty pan then that ceases to be a consideration (IMHO, of course).
--
** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes