Author Topic: Chicken Curry from 1993  (Read 10246 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Curry from 1993
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2021, 02:35 PM »
And doing Chinese food too, is actually quite modern. Was it common then, d'you know?

Lord, that was a very long time ago.  I would have started eating Indian food in Birmingham in around 1972, and I would not have chosen to order Chinese food from an Indian restaurant, there being even at that time very authentic Chinese restaurants in Birmingham ("Happy Gathering" being my favourite

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2021, 04:42 PM »
(Apropos nothing, but did anyone ever tell her she missed adding cumin in the method section?!)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2021, 04:51 PM »
I was amused by the final instruction to "sprinkle the coriander leaves over the tope".  Do you think she meant over a small, grey, European shark with rough skin and a long snout, or over a grove of trees?!

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2021, 06:25 PM »
Wow, tough audience. Well let me tell you both, I doubt any of you would have stood up to that diminutive Indian lady.  She was fiesty so even had I spotted the cumin omission there is no way I would be bringing that to her attention, let alone the tope issue.
I look forward to hearing and seeing the results.  Don?t think I will get around to it this weekend but maybe through the week as it?s a relatively non-spicy dish Mrs Robbo can handle.

Robbo

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2021, 07:17 PM »
Yeah, we have, the bravery of being out of range!

Well, I did it; some of the quantities / times had to be guesstimated, esp. as cooking on electric. But a wee taste of the gravy is gorgeous. There's a really different flavour in there. Not sure, yet, exactly where it comes from, but I'm guessing the hard spices at the beginning?

Photos tomorrow,  as it'll only improve after an overnight melding! And it's fajitas tonight :like:

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2021, 09:28 PM »
Very good sir.  We just received a family gift food delivery from Taste of Chicago so tonight is hot dog dinner with chilli for me. Really fancy a curry but nothing new about that. Maybe tomorrow.

Robbo

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2021, 05:52 PM »
Well, after Onion's rave review, and not really feeling like a hot dog dinner with chilli, I decided to dust off my trusty Remington and type up the recipe anew.  Attached hereto.
--
** Phil.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 08:16 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2021, 05:59 PM »
Nice one Phil, the typewriter is a classic touch. Perhaps stain it in cold tea for that ye-olde authentic look  :like:

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2021, 06:20 PM »
Won't work, I'm afraid — we only drink green tea (usually Jasmine) in this house, and it doesn't stain particularly well.  Would a nice monsooned Malabar coffee stain do instead, do you think ?

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2021, 06:36 PM »
Indeed, straight from a verandah!

©2024 Curry Recipes