Author Topic: Chicken Curry from 1993  (Read 10201 times)

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Curry from 1993
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2021, 06:40 PM »
Slight cock-up on the catering front, as Geoffrey Palmer might say: forgot to take the pre-serving photos, so we gotta make do with the last-minute left-overs for the father-in-law! (At least, re: the above, the tub's authentic!)

It was bloomin' marvellous, if I say so who shouldn't. Cheers, Rob! Does it look about how you remember it?

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2021, 07:23 PM »
Looks great Onions, nice job!  I honestly can not remember how mine looked, although the over-salt experience still smarts a bit.  That’s a great result from you though.  Who knows how long that battered old piece of A4 would’ve just sat inside one of my cookbooks but now I have to give it a go, for posterity.

Had no luck finding the Dum Aloo recipe so far.   Really wish i had kept everything from the course. Would be a good walk down memory lane…

Robbo

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2021, 07:40 PM »
And Phil, great job on the typing.  I have an app (from Tom Hanks, believe it or not) that replicates typewriters too.  I would have kept the ‘tope’ word at the end, just for authenticity. I wonder if I can laminate the original?  No A4 size laminator pouches here, only what the Americans call Letter.  Feeling all sentimental about being in my early 20s in Sunderland now…

Robbo

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2021, 07:41 PM »
Indeed, straight from a verandah!

To hear is to obey.  Now attached with monsooned Malabar stain and "tope" to finish ...  Oh, and typed on American "letter" paper so that Robbo can laminate it ...

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2021, 05:12 PM »
Wasted talent Phil. But I think I shall try the trim and laminate method of the original, thus preserving its future value at auction.

Robbo

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2021, 12:54 PM »
I've just cooked this Robbo, with a few minor adjustments.  I'm going to leave it sit for 24 hours as I believe traditional curry always benefits from a rest period. (I might have a little for samples tonight with a toastie naan.)

The adjustments I made were basically due to the fact that I cooked it as a staff curry in a big pot out of jointed chicken wings.  I'm not sure how much it weighed as I bought a whole heap of reduced price chicken pieces and used just the wings for this dish.  I'd estimate 1.5 kg or so. I just felt it needed a little extra kick so I added a bit of mixed curry powder, not much, and then halfway through I tasted it. It still needed something so I added a tsp or so of Kitchen King Masala.

It is already a delicious curry and I'm sure it will be amazing by tomorrow night for dinner.

Wifey is already complaining about another curry with bones and she hasn't even tasted it yet. She complained about bones in the lamb staff curry but was ok with the bones in the lamb shank Raan.  Its hard to please everybody.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2021, 01:27 PM »
Just tell her that the day she can stand up without any bones, you will make a curry to match !

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2021, 08:25 PM »
I love that this recipe is getting cooked by you guys.  I just took out a portion of base from the freezer to cook a curry tonight to celebrate my 7th wedding anniversary but you know what?  I’m going to put that base in the fridge and cook BIR tomorrow and give this old thing another go, moderating the salt this time. I have skinless, boneless thighs to hand and will pair with Phil’s aromatic pilau and some (sorry) store bought roasted garlic naan.

90 deg F today so more comfortable cooking indoors too, rather than outdoors on the grill burner like I usually do for BIR.

Will report back on my results.  Ah, the nostalgia of being in my 20s…

Robbo

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2021, 04:23 PM »
Cooked with slight modifications. Less chicken (am running out of room in the freezers) and added 1/2 tsp mix powder.  An enjoyable dish, well received by Mrs Robbo but I could have done with more heat, inevitably.  Some sliced fresh chilies would perk this up nicely.

Robbo

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2021, 06:12 PM »
Finally got around to cooking this today, and overall impressions are "not bad".  Despite the fact that I like (and normally add) considerably more salt than most people, even I found this dish on the salty side, and I failed to get the penultimate step to work as intended ("Mix and cook uncovered for 2–3 minutes until the sauce is nice and thick") — mine failed to thicken.  I put this down to the fact that I had (very unusually for me) used a low-fat Greek yoghurt — I bought this because the tub of yoghurt that I had originally bought for the recipe turned out to be extra-creamy, and I felt that it would be too rich for this dish, so I bought a tub of low-fat Greek yoghurt intending to blend the two.  Unfortunately I forgot to do this, used only the low-fat yoghurt, and the sauce did not thicken as it should have done.  I have eaten most of it, but have three pieces of chicken (and plenty of sauce) left, which I will eat tomorrow.  I hope that by then the flavours will have blended more, as I felt that eaten straight from the wok the individual elements were rather more obvious than they should have been.
--
** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes