Author Topic: Garden Tandoor?  (Read 14431 times)

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Garden Tandoor?
« on: February 21, 2007, 11:51 AM »
Does anyone fancy building a Tandoor in the garden in time for summer?

Just think of the BBQ parties you could have.

See the link below.

http://piers.thompson.users.btopenworld.com/index.html

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Garden Tandoor?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 02:49 PM »
I am pretty sure someone on this site is doing that very thing and intends to Blog it so we can all see their progress.

Alas and spare a thought for those mere mortals like me who dont have a garden...yet

Stew

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 11:39 PM »
I'm collecting together various materials at the moment and should start building my outdoor tandoor when the weather warms up. Please see the previous debate on this subject at:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=529.0

Regards
George

Offline pforkes

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Garden Tandoor...in Las Vegas!
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 10:56 PM »
I also fancy building a tandoor oven in the garden.  For me it might turn out to be a bit more of a challenge as I live in Las Vegas, and Indian restaurants are considerably less prevalent here than back in Blighty.

At noon, today, I went to the local Indian supermarket (who seems to stock just about everything) and he told me thatif I had mentioned this to him a couple of months earlier, he had two clay ovens that he would have sold to me at $170 each!  He's going to get back to me, if he can find another one for me.

In the meanwhile, are there any other members, here in the USA who have any experience with this?

Thanks.

Offline spliffyaid

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 01:11 PM »
Ive just bought one of the TandoorIQ ones, superb, cant beat it  ;D

The meat is just so moist, there is no way at all you can mimic a proper tandoor  8)

Just come down in price to about ?260 i think, if you can, think about getting one  8)

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 01:56 PM »
Wow you are the man.
Its gunna be a great summer round your house....lucky devil

Stew ;D

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 02:02 PM »
That thing really looks the business. Worth every penny I'll bet... Now all I need is a garden ;D

Offline spliffyaid

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 02:13 PM »
Its taken quite a few go's to get it right though, i have used it about 8 or 9 times now, learning each time i used it and have got it about right now :)

It takes about 1.5 - 2 hours to get to heat, but you can do a skewer of chicken in about 10 mins and it will take 12 skewers in one go with about a 40 minute window of optimum heat for cooking. I havent tried naans yet but i will be this weekend  ;D

As you can see from the pictures, it can lose charcoal from the door at the bottom (I knew i should have used it on my decking last weekend  ::) )

I cant praise this enough, i faffed around for ages trying to grill it, roast it etc etc and nothing comes close to how the meat comes out.

TandooIQ themselves were great,(i have nothing to do with them) delivery was quicker than stated, the packaging was great (massive heavy 30KGs hessian box) skewers, naan tools and some clay (complete with goat hair)  8)

The sides have been seasoned and laid on a wet base apparently and then shipped, when you get it you have to fill all the cracks in the bottom with the clay provided and leave for a couple of days, then do a couple of "pre burns" in it, and leave it to cool, then you are good to go :)

Looking forward to doing a whole chicken in it  ;D

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 03:27 PM »
It does look like a pretty dangerous kit to have about in the garden. Turn your back for a few minutes, next thing you know the next door neighbour's cat's missing! :o

Is that stainless stell it's enclosed in?

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 04:41 PM »
I want one  8)

©2024 Curry Recipes