Author Topic: My base sauce variation + Step by Step Pics  (Read 19126 times)

Offline onion

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: My base sauce variation + Step by Step Pics
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2007, 09:21 AM »
Onion i grew up in south afria, i now live in the US, but ive always craved the curry and such from my childhood in south africa. i spend a day making your base curry and i just want to say its wonderfull. its a great base that i can start all sorts of star dishes from. Thank you!

Thank you for your kind words, I am glad you enjoyed it.

Onion

Offline curryfreak

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2007, 05:49 PM »
Joined the site today, by 1pm I had all the ingredients and started to follow your directions,Its now nearly 5.50 pm and the 3 kids and the wife are like smiling beached whales, I am struggling through as its never as nice when you cooked it yourself...

Thanks for sharing, its a great sauce to start from and there's loads left for freezing  ;D

Offline onion

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2007, 07:17 AM »
Joined the site today, by 1pm I had all the ingredients and started to follow your directions,Its now nearly 5.50 pm and the 3 kids and the wife are like smiling beached whales, I am struggling through as its never as nice when you cooked it yourself...

Thanks for sharing, its a great sauce to start from and there's loads left for freezing  ;D

Hi Curry freak

Thank you for taking the time to have a go at my base, I am pleased your family enjoyed it.

Next time you use the frozen sauce you will enjoy it more, I am the same, if I spend a long time cooking I never enjoy it as much, so now I make it one day and use it the next.

Onion

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2007, 10:58 PM »
Hi team, ;) I am going to give this a go at the weekend, it seems to have had some good reviews. Was it half a pint of oil? Has anyone who has tried it got a recipe I can use it on?

Looks like another Saturday afternoon in the kitchen. Will post...

Cheers all.... ;D

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2007, 11:40 PM »
Hi all, cooked this today and the main ingredient you need with this is time. I have spent all afternoon cooking it, But I can say it was well worth it. I started about 1:45pm and finished about 4:45. I just cooked a basic KD style curry and it was very good. The finished base came out a bit on the thick side but rather than add water to the base I added a bit of chicken stock to the curry until I got the right consistency.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 11:50 AM by mike travis »

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2007, 09:08 PM »
Cooked a simple chicken curry tonight using fried onions and spices with this base sauce and was very happy with the result....cheers Onion.. ;)

Offline onion

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2007, 06:47 PM »
Cooked a simple chicken curry tonight using fried onions and spices with this base sauce and was very happy with the result....cheers Onion.. ;)

Hi Mike

Thank you for taking the time and effort to give it a go, I really appreciate it when someone goes to the expense not only in time but money as well to try a new recipe and enjoys the result. The pictures are superb.

Thank you
Onion

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2007, 10:08 PM »
Thanks Onion,  ;) it was a good afternoon in the kitchen and the end result was very good. Prior to freezing I did knock up a pint of chicken stock and added some to get a good consistency without altering the flavour. I cooked a curry the weekend using a recipe from a book I got from the library (50 great Indian curries)and used your base. I always start by frying onions for a least 30Min's. This combined with your base gave me that "chutney" texture I love. I am planning to cook a curry using blended boiled onions instead of fried to see if there is any difference.

I enjoyed making this base and although it was time consuming is a thumbs up for me. Thanks again........mike  ;D

Offline skelly2697

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2007, 04:00 PM »
on my second round of this base sauce and have found it to be superb. Thank god i found this site.

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2007, 09:26 PM »
Hi skelly2697,  ;) welcome. God had little to do with it, it was your destiny that led you here to join us curry loving nutcases. Look forward to hearing more from you soon.  ;D     

:)regards...mike

©2024 Curry Recipes