Author Topic: chicken tikka masala  (Read 18691 times)

Offline ghanna

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
chicken tikka masala
« on: March 27, 2005, 04:27 PM »
hi,all
a very nice recipe for chicken tikka masala by a top chef
thanks
ghanna

starchefs.com/features/indian_spotlight/html/chicken_tikka_d_prasad.shtml

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: chicken tikka masala
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 07:23 PM »
Hi ghanna,   Have you actually made this recipe.  There seems to be quite a lot of ingredients compared to what an Indian restaurant would use, but, if it's good then it is worth a try.  Thanks for the link I will try it real soon.

Offline ghanna

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 07:59 PM »
hi, curryqueen
no ,sorry  i have just found it in the web while i was surfing.
i sat down and read it ,it is actually a curry gravy  but the chef is dividing it into two calling the first  ONION MASALA and the second  TOMATO MASALA.
please look at it carefully and you will find that it is the CURRY GRAVY  that all of us know .

he is using a nice combination of spices, and as well he is using cashewnut in the gravy.
 as soon as i will find a chance i am going to try it and report back.
thanks
ghanna

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 08:04 PM »
Someone else used cashews in the gravy, was it you CK ?

Also CTM from a BIR is a really easy recipe to replicate, creamed coconut block is the secret
« Last Edit: March 27, 2005, 08:06 PM by Mark J »

Offline ghanna

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 08:24 PM »
hi ,all
please see this link as well , there is a nice recipe that use tomato ketchup and cashewnut  as well
i tried this recipe before it is excellent , my be it was a Little sweet for me but you can reduce the amount of tomato ketchup to your liking.
please do use the black salt it is very important to the taste ,you can find it in the indian stores , it is one of the ingredients of a spice blend called  CHAT MASALA
the taste of this black salt remind me of boiled eggs smell, but believe me it give a nice flavor to the chicken at the end after you cook it.
another ingredient is  MUSTARD OIL  as well try to use it , i know there is a lot of talk about it , but it is up to you  ,any way you can use any kind of oil but not olive oil .

http://www.askachef.com/recipe/recipedetails.cfm?recipeiD=1052

thanks
ghanna

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 10:43 AM »
Yep ive tried cashews in the gravy, I thought they did add to it but wether their right or not is another debate, maybe in a madras?

Offline ghanna

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 09:14 PM »
hi,all
the recipe was excellent , actually out of this world ,all my family liked it.
this is their comment .......it is better than the restaurant version.
i only changed one thing .  evaporated milk  instead of cream (they never use cream in the restaurant ,they alaways use evaporated milk.).
one of my family went to the restaurant and bought one and brought it home to compare it with mine ,guess who won, ME.
texture wise ,colourwise and most important factor was taste wise. i won
i feel i am over the moon , i want to share this with you all .
thanks
ghanna

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 07:30 PM »
Ghanna

Thank you for flagging up these recipes. So that I don't concentrate on the wrong one, which of the two recipes was the one which your family liked so much? Was it the star chefs one, or the ask a chef one, please?

Also, do you know if evaporated milk is more likely to be used in chicken korma (restaurant versions), rather than cream?

Regards
George

Offline ghanna

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 09:21 PM »
Dear George
thank you for your comment.
The one that my family liked was the first recipe (the star chef )
please note that they use evaporated milk in korma, chicken tikka masal,and any other recipe that require cream.
they buy evaporated milk in bulk from a whole saler and alaways the very small tins (170g ) because it is convenient to them ,they only open the tin if a customer ordered the curry and they nearly use half the tin in one go.at the end of the day they through the rest away. this is the only thing that they through away.
it is cheaper for them and it is alaways there in the kitchen ,they don't have to go out  in the middle of the night in order to buy cream if they run out of it.
you can add creamed coconut to the recipe as well it make a very interesting taste , i got the idea from MARK J he is one of the members of this forum  ,please see his recipe in the ebooks section
i hope i helped
thanks
Ghanna

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005, 10:01 PM »
i hope i helped

Ghanna

You certainly are helping. You are an absolute goldmine of information, on this thread and many others. It is very good of you.

Incidentally, which part of the world are you and your family from, please? I only ask because of your name. I see Om Kalthom (one of my favourite vocalists) did a song called Ghanna El Rabea, so is there a Middle East link to your name, I wonder?

Regards
George

©2024 Curry Recipes