Author Topic: Bad things come in three's  (Read 2626 times)

Offline Mr Madras

• Chef
    • View Profile
Bad things come in three's
« on: April 02, 2007, 01:17 PM »
What did I do to deserve this!
I just knew my day was going to be bad when I turned on the shower first thing in the morning and was rewarded with a horrible squeeling noise and no water! So my first job of the day was to jump in the car and get down to the local plumbing shop to buy a new power shower. An hour later I was ?180 lighter but much cleaner!

We had planned to have guests later that evening and you guessed it - I was going to cook one of my "famous" homemade curries. So at 5 o'clock I prepared all of the ingredients and put the onions, garlic, ginger, etc in my 5 month old Cuisinart electric wok to boil up. Ten minutes later I checked the mix to find it had heated to lukewarm before the wok switched itself off. After much cussing I had checked electical connections, fuses, etc and deduced that the element had burned out! :'(

Not to be put off by a second disaster I cracked another beer and transferred the sauce mix to another container and started again. A while later I was ready to transfer the boiled mix to the blender and thought to myself, "I'm now running late so I won't bother letting it cool for a while". Big mistake.

The first batch poured into the plastic blender jar created cracks in the side...
...sip of beer.
The second batch poured into the plastic blender jar created a light seapage...
...open another can.
The third batch poured into the plastic blender jar caused a small stream to flow down the side of the blender, across the worktop and down onto the floor...
...several more sips.
The final batch poured into the plastic blender jar resulted in hot curry sauce being deposited all over the worktop, wall, the dog and myself! ;D

Get the wine from the fridge, open it and pour into a 1/2 pint mug!

We finally sat down and ate our chicken vindaloo & vegetable rogon around 9:30 PM and I guess that the only consolation was it was remarkably tasty, given the disasterous circumstances! Of course by that time everyone had consumed much alcohol and we all saw the funny side of it.

Barry ;)

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Bad things come in three's
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 01:57 PM »
Great Story Mr Madras,

Glad it turned out ok in the end, i remember when i loaded up the blender with boilng hot curry base sauce and then proceeded to splatter the entire kitchen and my head  :-[which actually burns like hell....

Stew ;D

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 02:10 PM »
That's funny Mr M  ;D

Recently, I accidentally turned my blender on when it was full of curry base, still had a metal spoon in it and had no lid!  :o

Hmmmmm......well, the spoon made a lovely indentation in the ceiling (fortunately not in my eye!  :P) and I thought the curry base added a lovely speckled effect to the whole kitchen.....very artistic....but my wife didnt seem to think so!  :P

Regards,

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 09:20 PM »
One of the very first curries I evermade was from a pressure cooker book. I had only just started making curries and had never used a pressure cooker before. I followed the instructions to the letter with one exception, I forgot to turn down the heat once the pot had reached its pressure. Luckily for me the pressure cooker had safety plug that melted and stopped the cooker exploding. The ingredients were welded to the bottom of the pot!!

We recently bought some tiles to tile all behind the cooker so the curry splashes would wipe away easily. So I spent a whole weekend tiling (when I should have been cooking curry) and then during the week she turns up with a 50P splashguard.

I have turned the blender on without putting the lid on. What a mess!!

How we suffer for our art......

Offline Serum

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 09:26 PM »
How's about this for bad luck:

Found this site then got IBS immediately afterwards so I've not tried any of the recipes.  I'm still finding out what triggers it and it seems to be mainly tea, coffee and dairy products and fresh tomatoes (tinned ones seem ok though)

I still come and read the recipes though, should be getting some tablets to help on thursday so I might actually get round to trying some of this stuff.  Dart Phall's recipes are looking excellent so I think those will be my first port of call.

Offline coolinshot

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 02:55 PM »
Quote from: Japanese Proverb
First the man takes a drink; then the drink takes a drink; then the drink takes the man.

(quite applicable by the sound of it)

Good things come in threes too, I feel much better after my third bottle of wine

« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 02:59 PM by coolinshot »

©2024 Curry Recipes