Author Topic: Bhuna-Boy's Pilau Rice Recipe  (Read 3931 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Bhuna-Boy's Pilau Rice Recipe
« on: April 04, 2007, 02:03 AM »
Bhuna-Boy's Pilau Rice Recipe (This is Bhuna Boy's Recipe, not CA's):

For me there are three keys to cooking rice. 1. Don't overcook 2. Don't be tempted to stir and break the grains once cooked, which seems to let out the starch and it becomes stodgy.3. Do not allow water to boil at max power for too long.

I get good results everytime with the following:(enough for 4 people)

In a large saucepan place 2 bay leaves, 2x 3cm pieces of cassia bark, 5 green cardomoms-crushed so they are open, 5 cloves, 2 star anise.

Add a tablespoon of ghee (or I often use groundnut oil) and gently fry to soften the pods and I believe release better flavour etc. about 1 min

Meanwhile boil a kettle of water with enough to completely cover the rice you are going to put in.

To the fried pods/leaves add your basmati and gently coat the rice with the oil mix by stirring.1 min

The kettle will be boiled - Yes I know some people are going to say don't add water to hot oil and yes it does sizzle  but the rice stops it from spitting-however do be careful- add enough water to completely cover the rice. The quantity is irrelevant as you are going to cook the rice and then pour the water off.

Bring the water up to boil and then turn down to medium simmer for! -set your timer-4 minutes. Lid doesn't need to be on for any of the above.

Drain off into strainer and straight away return to the pan it just came out of ,add a knob of butter and put the lid on the saucepan . Set this to one side while you get on with finishing the curry or doing the naans (Don't be tempted to lift the lid to look as it will loose its steamy heat which is finishing the rice off). It will keep its heat for about 15 mins and also will become soft ,fluffy and separate grains.

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 03:00 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Tartan_Terrier

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Bhuna-Boy's Pilau Rice Recipe
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 11:50 AM »
Excellent post! I'll be giving that a go next time.

Up till now, I've been following the instructions on the packet, and always seem to end up with a sticky mess, which tastes fine but looks terrible.

Cheers
T_T

Offline bigdel90

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 01:53 PM »
Made this last night.

Very nice and simple to make. Had to heat mine up a bit at the end as it was still quite moist but that could be because I took the lid off in order to add some food colouring.

Many thanks for adding this recipe.

Offline malsal

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 10:02 AM »
tried Bhuna-boys recipe last night. Have to say it was marv, mind you i did put a few more cardamoms in it ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes