Author Topic: i spoke to my resturant owner last night  (Read 39559 times)

Offline Dylan

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: i spoke to my resturant owner last night
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2005, 08:56 AM »
Some thoughts:
fermenting the base - that's something new!
It would rely on natural yeasts in the air, like naturally leavened bread.
If it's got a film of oil on top, it'll probably need stirring now and again to replenish the oxygen levels.
I'd be wary of fermenting anything with meat extracts, rice, or pulses in - the protein favors food poisoning bacterial growth (even if it's subsequently boiled, killing the bacteria, these bacteria can leave behind dangerous chemical compounds).
Finally, If restaurants are leaving their bases for a few days before use, they would probably do this at room temperature as the quantity would be difficult to refridgerate,

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2005, 04:23 PM »
If restaurants are leaving their bases for a few days before use, they would probably do this at room temperature as the quantity would be difficult to refridgerate,

Im not so sure about this from what ive been told at different places the gravy is made up either at the end of the night or during the day for the next nights use.  Thats not a long time for it to be sitting around?

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2005, 07:40 PM »
I don't think the curry gravy is kept longer than four days.
I was told that it is not refridgerated but kept in a store room.
There is definitely a curry gravy pot on the stove all evening too!
I wonder if it's left there all night?

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2005, 08:24 PM »
Well ive just cooked a madras with my gravy which has been sitting on my cooker since yesterday and the flavour had definetely improved.  You can tell it had because the gravy itself smelt more fragrent and spicy.  Personaly I think its as good as its going to get but like Pete im still willing to try anything else if someone can get inside their local restaurant  ;)

Offline ghanna

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2005, 08:40 PM »
hi,all
i tried  with the owner to let me watch the whole procedure of  the curry gravy making (4 hours )as i have been told but he refused with a lot of excuses (don't want to waste my time , kitchen very hot , chef will not accept , i am going to be in tears because they peel  and cook a lot of onions, my clothes will smell bad .........etc )
i tried to convince him of bringing my curry gravy and the chef cook me a meal from it and i will pay for it (.i wanted to know if the high heat factor is true or not ) ,guess what was his answer no.. no it is against the health and safety regulation we cannot do that
may be some one else can  try with their restaurant or takeaway, i will not loose hope  i will try again.
thanks
ghanna

Offline london_lhr

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2005, 09:31 PM »
Hello ghanna,
Maybe you should disguise yourself as a health inspector, don your whites and tell him you have to watch him prepare his gravy to make sure he is not breaking any health regulations !!
Any health inspectors on the forum?
Cheers,
Barry.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2005, 09:33 PM by london_lhr »

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2005, 09:29 AM »
Kept my Gravy next to the cooker at Room Temp, by day 3 took the lid off and it was bubbling and i assume fermenting.  I cant see this happening in a takeaway as it would spoil way to quick.

Just my two cents.

S ;D

Offline ghanna

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2005, 09:52 AM »
hi,ADMIN
yes you are right ,this is nature.it will ferment badly until all the sugar in the onions and tomato is finished.
but in the restaurant they keep the gravy hot all the time they are cooking, only at night they will switch off the fire .
did you leave your gravy all the time cold on top of the cooker ?
please come back and tell us.
thank you for doing this experiment  in behalf of all of us, it is very nice to know what will happen if we leave the gravy out for 3 days.
   could you please tell us what other things did you notice  in the gravy  i.e  texture, colour, smell .

thank you in advance
ghanna

Offline ghanna

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2005, 08:07 PM »
hi, ADMIN
may be he was not telling me the truth when he mentioned fermentation, i don't know .
thanks
ghanna

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2005, 01:04 PM »
Kept my Gravy next to the cooker at Room Temp, by day 3 took the lid off and it was bubbling and i assume fermenting. I cant see this happening in a takeaway as it would spoil way to quick.
Sooner or later, one of us is going to get food poisoning.
I left my gravy out for three days too.
It didn't bubble, but improved  on day two.
I think more than three days is really pushing it

©2024 Curry Recipes