Author Topic: How Do BIRs Make Their Curries Hot?  (Read 8912 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
How Do BIRs Make Their Curries Hot?
« on: April 06, 2007, 11:30 AM »
Hi All,

Being inspired by a recent debate (on another thread) about Phals, I thought I'd ask the question:

"How do British Indian Restaurants (BIRs) typically make their curries hot (i.e. Madras, Vindaloo, Tindaloo, Bindaloo and Phal)?"

Do they simply use chilli power?  Or do they use fresh chillis and/or some kind of pre-mixed chilli paste?

Regards,
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 11:55 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: How Do BIRs Make Their Curries Hot?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 04:29 PM »
In my experience it is mainly chili powder and fresh chili's are not used unless it's asked for or stated on the menu as in a jalfrezi.  I would be interested to know what others think about this I like them hot but can't take to much chili powder.

cK

Offline sparkybill

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 06:23 PM »
I have often used crushed chillies for heat but this can be a bit 'stingy'! I also use 'who dares burns' or 'Dave's insanity sauce' but these are obviously not used in BIR's.....or are they??

Sparkybill.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 07:25 AM by sparkybill »

Offline Graeme

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 09:00 PM »
some very hot bir currys taste uncooked
but are very very hot, with out depth just hot
and powdery (like red slop).

a poor show, like powder has just been put in
at the last min.

Others have depth and taste and heat and are dark in colour,
and very nice.

both could be called vindaloo etc.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 09:06 PM by graeme »

Offline Mr Madras

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 05:58 PM »
I find that adding chilli powder gives an immediate heat to a curry, but if you add a combination of powder and fresh chillis at the right point during cooking, the resultant heat is much "deeper" and flavourfull.

I rarely use the fresh green chillis typically bought in the Indian grocers, and prefer to use home-grown chillis of my own. I have found that the addition of a Habenero chilli or two adds a fantastic taste to a hot curry and give it real depth that actually is an improvement to a BIR curry. I have also tried adding some lemon chillis that provide significant heat whilst maintaining exquisite flavour.

As a confirmed chilli-head I must say that its not just about the heat - its also about the taste. In my experience it is absolutely possible to cook a very, very hot curry and keep it tasting great!

Barry

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 08:56 AM »
Do they simply use chilli power?  Or do they use fresh chillis and/or some kind of pre-mixed chilli paste?
Well Cory,
                This is an interesting one!
I knew a chef who used a mixture of fresh chopped chillies and also chilli powder.
He swore to me that he only used ordinairy chilli powder
Never use the the "extra hot"
He claimed that it tasted too powdery
I believed him, but a couple of months later, I saw that he had a bag of it in the kitchen!!
Normally the chef doesn't buy what he cooks with
He is at the mercy of the restaurant owner, and he will most likely decide things by their price

Offline Graeme

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 07:41 PM »
as well as powder i belive
you need the green chilli flesh from
to add depth.

graeme.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 04:35 PM by graeme »

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 11:26 AM »
I have seen some takeaways use diced Jalapenos in the finished curry

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 11:54 AM »
Jalapenos are relatively mild aren't they Stew?  Do you think that they are maybe there for appearance and flavour, rather than heat?

Regards,
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 11:57 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 01:35 PM »
Pretty sure it's just chilli powder as adding fresh chillies changes the taste. IMO this would be better but if a green chilli's used then it becomes too similar to a jalfrezi.
I agree with the depth thing and this is one reason i'll always choose a madras over a vindaloo. As we're cooking ourselves this is an area we can easily be better that a BIR. Using a chilli powder that doesnt contain any other ingredients is a start. Swartz & supermarket brands often contain oregano for instance. Using a blend of powders to get every angle of the chilli taste in the powder is the next level. Heston blumenthal's chilli con carne recipe for example uses a blend of 9. http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/chilliconcarne_87368.shtml

Preparing fresh chillies properly is also important. For best taste in my experience you should cut them in half, take out the white bits, seeds and wash the membrane out. Then put them in a glass of hot, v salty water for half an hour. Rinse and then chop up as required.
This makes the chilli taste purer because it takes out most of the harshness that come from the chemical irritants (i think). It also means you can use more chillies (maybe double but that's a guess as i havent used many different varieties) so there will be more taste and not just hotness.

Jalapeno's taste like green peppers not chillies (IMO) so i wouldnt use them.

©2024 Curry Recipes