Author Topic: What is a "Balti"?  (Read 6646 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
What is a "Balti"?
« on: April 06, 2007, 11:54 AM »
Hi All,

Besides being a traditional Indian cooking vessel, I would be very interested to hear other people's views on what a typical "Balti" otherwise is? 

My understanding is (was) that a "Balti" (i.e. the cooking method and the resultant curries) typically has the following attributes:

• An extra-quick curry cooking method (i.e. "wok-like" stir frying) that arose in Birmingham in the 1970's
  • Are served in a "truck-stop" type cafe where curries are/were prepared in a low overhead establishment and are consequently relatively cheap
  • Are normally accompanied by naan bread (rather than rice)
  • Use more fresh vegetables than "traditional" BIR cooking
  • Use more fenugreek than "traditional" BIR cooking

Other than that, I was under the understanding that "Baltis" were really no different than "traditional" BIR curries; using similar Curry Bases, other ingredients and so on.  However, I have seen different interpretations whereby vastly different Curry Bases are prescribed for Balti curries? 

Maybe my understanding is incorrect or incomplete?  I would therefore be very interested to hear other peoples' views on what constitutes a Balti and how they typically differ from more "traditional" BIR curries?

Regards,
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 02:41 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: What is a "Balti"?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 04:24 PM »
I think a lot of the problem is that when balti became fasionable every BIR added it to the menu and made their own version.  I have had a balti before that was just like a bhoona with patak paste added.  The 100 best balti book which is supposed to be from geniune balti houses has given me results which are average at best and if that is "proper" balti then it's not for me.  I am of the opinion that baltis are just regular BIR fare with extra pepper, onion and heavier spicing, although I don't eat enough of them to be an authority on it.

cK
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 04:43 PM by Curry King »

Offline Graeme

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 05:45 PM »
a gimmick.

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 08:47 AM »
This was a veg balti I saw cooked

Heat a load of curry gravy oil for a couple of minutes
Add two desertspoons of finely chopped garlic and fry for a couple of minutes
Add two desertspoons of very runny garlic ginger puree
3 desertspoons of pre cooked onions
A desertspoon of tomato puree
A teaspoon of salt
2 desertspoons of spice mix
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder and a splash of watery curry gravy
Heat for about five minutes, stirring all the time
If it gets too dry then add a little more curry gravy
Add the precooked veg, fresh coriander,1 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves,1 desertspoon of pataks balti paste and a couple of ladles of watery curry gravy
Heat for about five minutes then add a desertspoon of ground coriander/cummin mix and a little more fresh coriander
Heat on very high with a lid on for a couple of minutes (they used an another upturned pan)
Then serve into the carton

I am sure it's not a traditional balti, but it tasted absolutely brilliant
I can't make this as nice at home
I reckon it's their cookers
You should see the flames on some of their burners
I would hate to see their gas bill!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 02:06 PM by Admin »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 04:28 AM »
Thanks for your replies guys,

So Haldi, from what you saw, and have described, how would you say a Balti differs from a more "conventional" BIR curry?  I mean with regard to ingredients, cooking technique and so on?  ie. what makes you say it was "a Balti"?

Regards,
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 04:33 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Ashes

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 04:53 PM »
Its a very good question from Cory. Curry King hit the nail on the head.. The 100 best balti book which is supposed to be from genuine balti houses has given me results which are average at best and if that is "proper" balti then it's not for me Dont like 100 BBB

The main differences ive perceived: Balti isntt originally Bangladeshi but probably Pakistani in origin. The spicing is different, using more aromatic spices. Although the spicing ive seen from Pakistani recipes has been very basic. So it might have started as a gimmick..as it doesnt fit the Pakistani spicing ive seen or read about on the interweb. Pat Chapman believed it to be from Baltistan.. sounds too incredible? Only problem there is in Baltistan they slow cook there dishes.. not wokfry them.

The Balti dish isnt any quicker than a normal BIR, probably takes about the same time to cook or slightly longer.

The Balti will taste different, it relies more on fresh Coriander, Methi, has a different garam masala, more cardamons and cloves. More aromatic spices.

The original curries of the 1970s were very hot (apparently) where balti was a reverse trend, making a "sweeter" milder version. but the other major differences is that it was very much a mix and match type of curry. Where as the standard BIR dishes were mostly "meat" in a spicy sauce, Balti can include a combination of onions peppers gourds pulses and lentils lamb and chicken or "meat" and prawns within the same dish.. closer to a spicy stew i guess, which is cooked in a large kari on the stove and severed in the same Kari or Balti bowl

Yes the "Balti triangle" is pretty run down area... i know i lived not far away, and some of the places had glass tops with menus under (some still do..) think thats cool tbh.
although the ambience was a little dodgy with the strip-lighting and bolted down seats.

Another gimmick was that the nans were huge but werent included, they were ordered seperately and no knives and forks were included either. These places werent usually licenced either..(very cheap) there was usually an off-licence near by, and you could happily turn up and the Balti place would provide glasses or open bottles as needed.

After saying that, ironically there seems to have been a move over to the more traditional "meat" chicken/prawn dish in just a mild spicy sauce closer to the BIR.
Indian restaurants also have done their take on the Balti.. which is also very good but the distinctions become less apparent.

Just want to say one more thing, there are some "traditional" Balti places around but not all places are great or even good. Much like the BIR, there are some places which just arent up to scratch.

Conclusion; Balti isnt a million miles away from your local BIR but it could be just far enough to be different :)

Regards Ashes

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 08:16 AM »
. what makes you say it was "a Balti"?
Hi Cory
           I called it a Balti because thats what the takeaway called it
Compared to a vindaloo or madras, it was very garlicky & extra spicy
You really knew you'd had garlic on the day after (so did everyone else!)
I had dog's breath for a couple of days
Very tasty though
Proper UK baltis are meant to be served in cast iron balti bowls, with naans aren't they?
I don't know anywhere that actually does that round here
I think it's a fad that has come and gone

Offline Ashes

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 05:50 PM »
. what makes you say it was "a Balti"?
Proper UK baltis are meant to be served in cast iron balti bowls, with naans aren't they?
I don't know anywhere that actually does that round here
I think it's a fad that has come and gone
They are still around.
Check out the Balti triangle..

It a kind of mecca thing.. youll find tradional baltis there, not BIR Baltis
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 05:52 PM by Ashes »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 11:06 AM »
Another gimmick was that the nans were huge but werent included, they were ordered seperately

Ashes

Many thanks for a very interesting post. Just on the subject of these large naans, do you or anyone have any idea whether they are cooked in a tandoor like smaller naans, or by some other method given the size? I should think they're a bit unwieldy to handle.

Regards
George

Offline Ashes

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 03:11 PM »
George i honestly havent seen this, but have been told that they are done exactly the same way as normal nans only i would imagine in a larger tandoor. You would also need to use a larger pillow to place them.

The best nans i have tasted have been the normal sized ones, the larger balti nans can be a little heavy (doughy) and dont taste as good towards the end of the balti

I will be over in Birmingham this summer and will try and find out a little more info.. see if i cant take a few pics too :)

Regards Ashes

©2024 Curry Recipes