Author Topic: Cracking Vindaloo  (Read 1733 times)

Offline sparkybill

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Cracking Vindaloo
« on: April 06, 2007, 04:43 PM »
:D

Hi Everyone, this is my first curry post so please bear with me.

I've just made a lovely Vindaloo and thought I'd put my 'two pennies in the pot' so to speak!

I followed Darthphall's recipes for the base and Vindaloo but just added a few changes from my past experiences.

I have always thought Vindaloos should have potatos, not to everyones taste I know but I love 'em. So I boiled up the kettle and covered the chicken as Darth instructs and also put three large potatos, chopped into about inch (2.5cm) cubes and another two large ones cut into 1/2 cubes or smaller in a pot with enough water to just cover them. Then I added 1 level tablespoon of Turmeric. Cook until small potatos are soft. Strain but keep the water for later use in the curry together with Darth's famous chicken water.

I use the small potato pieces and add them at the point where the base sauce is added. They of course break up into the curry But I think they add to the texture. The other potatoes are obviously added later so they don't break up.

The other thing I added was dried Fenugreek leaves. I Steep these in warm water for about 30 mins or more before adding to the pot after the base sauce has been put in. You could strain this for the liquid if you want but I chuck the whole lot in!

Oh, nearly forgot, the only other thing I did was at the start when the onions first go in to be fried with the spices I put the heat down to medium and cover the pot initially until the onions go transparent then fry off with cover removed. This seems to bring out the sweetness of the onions and seems to infuse the spices into them, not sure if that makes sense but I always do it!

Phew, sorry it's such a long one! Again, all hail to Darth and if I am repeating what others or you have said (sucking eggs etc.) I apologise.

Cheers,

Sparkybill.

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Cracking Vindaloo
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 07:34 AM »
Marvelouse stuff  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes