Author Topic: Had a restaurant chef round my house!  (Read 29857 times)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Had a restaurant chef round my house!
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2005, 10:57 AM »
All of you who say you cant get the taste, Im now of the opinion thats its all in your heads ;D

I agree, everyone whos tasted my currys have said as good if not better than the restaurant.  I am sceptical that they are that good but i'l go with the general opinion  :D

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2005, 03:14 PM »
All of you who say you cant get the taste, Im now of the opinion thats its all in your heads ;D

I agree, everyone whos tasted my currys have said as good if not better than the restaurant.  I am sceptical that they are that good but i'l go with the general opinion  :D

It would be useful to all meet up and bring along our best efforts for a joint tasting session, against some benchmark samples of genuine take-away curries from a known, reliable source.

As for currys tasting better than the restaurant, we need to be careful. I'm pleased that my curries are held as better than a (curry house) restaurant by some friends. But this is because I'm trying to cook 'authentic' Indian fine-dining curries, not BIR style curries. So question one should be: "Is this curry in the same family as a BIR curry?" Mine would score very low. Then, if it is, is it up there with the best of BIR curries. We all know of good, bad and mediocre BIR's. But all their offerings are part of the same 'family' in my opinion.

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2005, 06:56 PM »
All of you who say you cant get the taste, Im now of the opinion thats its all in your heads? ;D
I would be the first to admit the search has driven me a bit crazy.
I mean, what kind of person roams the streets at night, asking for cooking lessons?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2005, 06:59 PM by pete »

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2005, 08:17 PM »
I mean, what kind of person roams the streets at night, asking for cooking lessons?
A nutter  ;D ;D ;D

But seriously, thanks for all the research you have done pete, without your input I would not be at the stage I am now in reproducing BIR curry

Offline merrybaker

• Head Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2005, 10:10 PM »
But seriously, thanks for all the research you have done pete, without your input I would not be at the stage I am now in reproducing BIR curry
The same goes for me!
-Mary

Offline marybakers

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2009, 04:54 PM »
Hi ghanna,

Yeah it was lucky I kept hassling him for the recipes and he turned round and said I will come round and show you!!

There was no fenugreek leaves in the gravy and none in the vindaloo.

Another thing he didnt mention any measurments at all, it was a bit of this a lttle of that, also I missed out salt, he put put some in at the begining and more after it was blended.  For the spices it was approx a heaped desert spoon of each execpt garam masala which was under half that.  Oil was about 500ml and water as needed, 8 onions, 1 carrot, 1 tin of toms and 1 pepper.   If anyone trys it please post back, ive just got another batch on the go.

yes i also made it to,actually going to have a curry with the base tonight but needing help as when i made a bhoona with that base the last time it was tasteless the curry.only thing i didnt put into my recipe was coconut,should that have made a difference?

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2009, 05:11 PM »
This thread is a bit of an oldie, I still use these recipes to this day though  8)

©2024 Curry Recipes