Author Topic: ifindforu base recipe  (Read 2565 times)

Offline extrahotchillie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
ifindforu base recipe
« on: April 19, 2007, 08:51 PM »
I made this base today from ifindforu's recipe, the only thing I changed in the recipe is that I used mustard oil instead of vegetable oil the pictures are aimed at our new members hopefully its shows them what they are aiming for.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 01:31 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: ifinforu base recipie
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 01:29 AM »
Nice one EHC.....photos are always useful to show what's being aimed for I think  8)

Offline Curryswede

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: ifindforu base recipe
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 09:57 AM »
Wouldn't using mustard oil in big curry base quantities have a huge impact on the flavour of the base?
Mustard oil has a rather strong, pungant smell. I've never tried it in curries, so I don't know if it affects taste but I'm guessing it does.
Nice pictures btw.

Offline extrahotchillie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: ifindforu base recipe
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 07:40 PM »
The crack is that we are all trying to emulate possibly our local BIR and takeaways and I have found that using pure mustard oil in the base recipe gets me closer to what "I" (personally) am trying to achieve; quite obviously each BIR & takeaway around the country the standards will invariably vary.

I can only comment on my local balti house from the late 80's and it was awsome; but I personally feel that I have surpassed them, the main reason for this fact is that the original man is still involed but, however, he is getting on in years shall we say and possibly his children has taken over the place, and they want to make a quick buck and have let standards slip; hence the BWM & Mercs they are driving around in at our expense.

I think a good place for you to start is with the authentic recipe selection and incorporate some of the ingredients into many of the base recipes on this site, by that I mean adding maybe cinnamon, fresh chilli's & bay leaves to your curries and maybe the variation will be quite suprising to you; I personally have yet to try Darths base recipe and the only reason for this is that I have found ifindforu's base to be what I am personally looking for; but I will give Daths base a go the next time I make a base sauce and I will post my results.

It is, however, good of you to post your comments and not just look at the forum and not contribute any comments, how else are we going to learn anything; carry on cooking and ask questions, that is what makes this site "GREAT".

Maybe you are the one that will answer that darkest secret one day.

"Curry on dude"

Regards

EHC

©2024 Curry Recipes