Author Topic: Balti Dishes ect...  (Read 7260 times)

Offline David43

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Balti Dishes ect...
« on: April 27, 2007, 05:15 PM »
Hi all, does anyone have any info on where I might be able to buy "Balti Dishes" from in Leicester? the ones that you can eat out of, like they serve the curries in at "T & K Balti House" on Green Lane Road in Leicester? Would also really like to buy a "Turva" used for cooking chapatti's on? Any info on this would be greatly received..
Thanks, Dave.  ;D

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Balti Dishes ect...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 04:27 PM »

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 02:30 PM »

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 10:04 AM »
I bought my tava from a nice lady on ebay, kajspice her seller ID is.  Although if you have a local Asian store they can be had for a little bit less.

cK

Offline vindaloo

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 11:29 PM »

I bought these from Falcon in Leicester. They are quite heavy really. Falcon is where the old Comet or Currys is, Nr Sainsbury's on Belgrave Rd.

Offline vindaloo

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 10:40 AM »
I went into Fenwicks (Leicester) yesterday, and they now sell these exact dishes. They've got 2 or 3 sizes, I'm pretty certain that the largest size were ?10 each.

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 02:16 AM »
Hi,

You can purchase them online here http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Indian-Food-Balti-Dish-Set-1.html
Pretty sure you dont want to use them. They look pure stainless steel, which is a bad cooking medium as it's a bad conductor of heat. You'd burn your ingredients quickly due to hot-spots.
They are decoration and are not meant to be cooked in. The iron ones are what you're after. I found some in brick lane (london) cheap. They must sell them in birmingham & manchester too. I got a 12" one for ?9 so i guess the single portion ones are about half the price.

Offline Jethro

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 07:11 AM »
Hi,

You can purchase them online here http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Indian-Food-Balti-Dish-Set-1.html
Pretty sure you dont want to use them. They look pure stainless steel, which is a bad cooking medium as it's a bad conductor of heat. You'd burn your ingredients quickly due to hot-spots.
They are decoration and are not meant to be cooked in. The iron ones are what you're after. I found some in brick lane (london) cheap. They must sell them in birmingham & manchester too. I got a 12" one for ?9 so i guess the single portion ones are about half the price.

Balti bowls are not generally used to cook in, they are used to serve the meal and so can be as decorative as you like.
Stainless steel is ideal in that it is easy to clean afterwards and keeps it's looks.
Copper looks nice but can tarnish with age and are difficult to keep looking nice.  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes