Author Topic: Bradford curry base - easy to do and perfect  (Read 42134 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Bradford curry base - easy to do and perfect
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2014, 08:32 PM »
If only it were that simple Phil. We've had several people on the forum in the past using bulb to connote a single clove.

Yes, sometimes someone writes "bulb" when he/she means "clove", but when the author takes the trouble to write "whole bulb of garlic", I really do think that he/she is making him/herself perfectly clear.  Have you ever seen anyone write "a whole clove of garlic", unless they hate the stuff ?!

Any thoughts on the onion size...can't say I know much about Spanish onions but as the recipe uses only one they must be fairly sizeable?

Spanish onions are big; just toddle off to Waitrose and buy the biggest one you can find !

** Phil.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2014, 08:47 PM »
Tesco's giant onions mate- c. 400-500g ea.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2014, 10:09 PM »
Tesco's giant onions mate- c. 400-500g ea.

Blimey that is big!  :o

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2014, 11:34 PM »
just toddle off to Waitrose and buy the biggest one you can find !

The way I regard Waitrose, I'd read that as "just toddle off to Waitrose and pay more than you would almost anywhere else."

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2014, 07:20 AM »
The way I regard Waitrose, I'd read that as "just toddle off to Waitrose and pay more than you would almost anywhere else."

But George, if you were to become a Waitrose customer, you could have a free Daily Telegraph every day, and then you wouldn't have to rely on the Daily Mail to keep you informed of world affairs ...

** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2014, 09:38 AM »
But George, if you were to become a Waitrose customer, you could have a free Daily Telegraph every day, and then you wouldn't have to rely on the Daily Mail to keep you informed of world affairs ...

I can't tell if that's a put down or self deprecation on your part? Either way George will hopefully delete the unwarranted expletives (Daily Fail and Torygraph) in accordance with forum regs.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2014, 10:29 AM »

That's interesting - really - because I do have a Waitrose card, not that I hardly ever use the shop. I remember reading something about a free newspaper and assumed there must be a catch. Is there a minimum spend level in order to get the newspaper?

To be fair, they have reduced SOME prices recently but overall, I think the prices of most things are far higher than in other stores.

As for the Daily Mail, yes I do read quite a few articles online. What's wrong with that? They have some good stories and superb images. I used to read The Times and the FT online, until they started charging. I mostly go via news portals like google news and bing, so I often read articles on The Independent and The Guardian web sites as well. The last article I read on dailymail.co.uk was about the Alps Murders? Is that a right-wing spin or just a load of rubbish? I don't think so

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2014, 10:39 AM »
As for the Daily Mail, yes I do read quite a few articles online. What's wrong with that?

If you have to ask George...

The last article I read on dailymail.co.uk was about the Alps Murders? Is that a right-wing spin or just a load of rubbish? I don't think so

I bet they managed to spin it around to being the fault of Britain's scrounging unemployed somehow.  :P

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2014, 11:12 AM »
That's interesting - really - because I do have a Waitrose card, not that I hardly ever use the shop. I remember reading something about a free newspaper and assumed there must be a catch. Is there a minimum spend level in order to get the newspaper?

Fairly sure it has recently gone up to GBP 10-00 (from GBP 5-00).  But as it is difficult to set foot inside Waitrose without spending at least twice that, you can be reasonably confident of a free Daily Telegraph every day :)

P.S. Santa: not Britain's scrounging unemployed, the rest of the world's scrounging unemployed who have the temerity to think that just because we have raped and pillaged their homelands since time immemorial, that gives them some right to come over here and ask for a pittance in return ...

** Phil.

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2014, 12:13 PM »
Uncannily I subscribe to a humorous email from b3ta and it always comes with a catchy title. This weeks was '[b3ta] It may be full of boll**ks but at least it's not the Daily Mail'

I read most papers with a pinch of salt these days. Bring back the NOTW.  :-\

©2024 Curry Recipes