Author Topic: Bradford curry base - easy to do and perfect  (Read 42132 times)

Offline GuitarDemon

• Chef
    • View Profile
Bradford curry base - easy to do and perfect
« on: May 06, 2007, 11:56 AM »
Hi all,

I had a lesson from a chef in a Bradford curry restaurant. The base sauce is easy, very few ingredients, and works a treat. Makes about 5 portions of curry when prepared. Blend 1 large spanish onion, 1 whole bulb garlic, 1 level teaspoon salt, 1 level teaspoon green cardamom powder, 1 good pinch dried methi (fenugreek) leaves until really smooth. Simmer on a very low light for a good 45 mins till really reduced to a paste-like consistency.
To do an authentic takeaway chicken massala, all you do is this. Cut 1kg chicken fillets into 1" cubes, wash and drain in a saucepan, add 1 level teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 level teaspoon chilli powder, and set aside. In a large pan (I use a wok), heat 5 tablespoons vegetable oil, 5 tablespoons water (yes - sounds wrong but trust me), 1 tablespoon minced garlic paste, 1 tablespoon minced ginger paste, 2 level teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon dried methi leaves, and simmer for 5 mins on high heat, stirring continuously. Remove from heat, add 4 heaped teaspoons pakistani basaar powder (or mixed curry powder), stir into mixture off the heat. Return to heat, add chicken, mix together, and cook over medium heat till chicken has turned white. Add curry base sauce (all of it), simmer for 30 mins over a low heat. Add a handful of fresh chopped coriander leaves, 2 chopped fresh tomatoes, and chopped fresh green chilli (chilli depends on heat required - I like it hot and add 6 or 7). Simmer a further 5 mins. All done! Perfect Bradford takeaway chicken massala.

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Bradford curry base - easy to do and perfect
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 12:04 PM »
Great post always nice to have a first hand account!

Have you tried any other bases and if so how do they compare to what your were shown?

cK

Offline GuitarDemon

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 03:28 PM »
I absolutely LOVE curry - it's my favourite food of all time - especially chicken massala. I've eaten in curry restaurants all over the UK, and it frustrated me no end that I couldn't reproduce that taste. It has to be said though that my taste is for Bradford curries - the southern ones don't do much for me. I've eaten in restaurants all over the south of England, and they have the same bland redness to them (in my opinion - no offense meant). The base sauces listed here all seem a little too complicated - I've tried a few from here and other curry recipe sites - and they all seem to have too many ingredients. I can assure you that the restaurants around here all use the very simple base sauce I described above. If you give my recipe a try (doesn't take long - I've got one on the simmer as I type !!!!), I'm sure you'll be impressed.

Offline broon-loon

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 12:11 PM »
Hi GuitarDemon,

Thanks for posting this, it sounds fairly uncomplicated and that must be a good thing!

Can you tell us the origin of the chef who showed you this eg, Bangladesh, Pakistan or indeed neither?

Thanks

Edit for spelling
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 04:16 PM by broon-loon »

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 06:41 PM »
Hi All,

I though i would write this recipe out for all: -

The base sauce - Makes about 5 portions of curry when prepared.
Ingredients
-Blend 1 large Spanish onion
-1 whole bulb garlic
-1 level teaspoon salt
-1 level teaspoon green cardamom powder
-1 good pinch dried methi (fenugreek) leaves

Process
Blend all the above until very smooth
Simmer on a very low light heat for a good 45 mins till really reduced to a paste-like consistency.

Correct me if i am wrong.
Recipe for chicken massala as the first post.

Offline Bangra

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 08:48 PM »
do you add any liquid to the base?
and where do you add it in the masala?

TA

Offline GuitarDemon

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 04:23 PM »
Thanks for the edit - I hope people try it and enjoy it as I do! I don't add any liquid at all to the curry base sauce - only in the oil at the start of making the curry itself. If the curry base is reduced to a paste, it doesn't matter how long - could be any amount of time really, 45 mins is just an estimate. The guy who gave me the lesson is of Pakistani origin, and one of the nicest people I've met. For example, he once called to see me at work, and asked if I'd had lunch. I said no, but would get something later. He said he was going for his lunch, and came back with a HUGE nan bread filled with massala fish, kebabs and salad, and a drink !!! Real gentleman!

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 08:10 AM »
Excellent
Thanks GD
I know a takeaway that uses Basaar spice mix
It is their main spice
Good to hear someone else has found the same
The place I know makes the best curries for miles around
Maybe they are like Bradford curries?
He also uses a special fried garlic paste in some curries
Did you come across that too?

Offline GuitarDemon

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 06:14 PM »
Hi all,

The pakistani basaar is really easily obtained here in Bradford. The one I like best is Star brand basaar - it's really basic packaging (poly bag with a sticker!) but imported and really great. The only downside for me is it has whole dried curry leaves in it, which I crumble with my fingers into the pan. The other alternative which I find ok is East End Ground Mixed Spice (sub-labelled Pakistani Basaar). That's quite nice but I only use that when I've run out of Star brand and forgot to buy some ... :-S).
As for the fried garlic paste - that reminds me of another important restaurant secret. Have you noticed how takeaway kitchens all have the high flame asian cookers? This is because when you fry the garlic/ginger at the start of making a curry, you must fry it on the maximum heat (looks scary, but must be on a gas ring really turned full) for the full 5 mins, stirring continuously, to give the almost burned-fried garlic taste. If you gently fry the garlic/ginger, it doesn't give nearly the correct flavour. Try it - I'm sure you'll agree it's a top tip.
And another thing I forgot to mention, which I hope you'll try and report back. In the restaurant lesson I had, the chef used 1 level teaspoon of garam massala along with the 4 teaspoons of basaar. I really don't like the flavour that garam massala imparts to the dish - I can tell it's there no matter how small the quantity. I don't use it in mine at all - but if you recognize and like the taste of it, try adding 1 level teaspoon.
When all's said and done, remember that the good restaurants use spices conservatively, only adding them in quantities such as the English would add things like mustard powder to dishes - in small quantities. The real flavour of a good curry is from fresh ingredients, the chilli, garlic, coriander, etc. Each portion of the recipe I mentioned earlier contains no more than one teaspoon of spices per portion!

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 08:56 AM »
Hi GD
     I made the base and it turned out green
It is a different flavour to most curry gravies I know, but similar to the Andy
(or M) "secret" paste recipe
I didn't make the chicken curry with it
I substituted pre fried mushrooms (restaurant style)
It was the tastiest curry of the evening and certainly had a more-ish-ness about it.
It's not a curry I recognise, but one that I would make again
Thanks
Does the curry gravy come out green when you make it?
That's the curry gravy on the left and the finished curry on the right
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 08:59 AM by haldi »

©2024 Curry Recipes