Author Topic: Best Base to Date  (Read 31567 times)

Offline adamski1964

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: BEST BASE TO DATE.
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2005, 09:57 PM »
Ive made a Phall with 25 Birds eye chillies, 2 Scotch Bonnets & half a tub of extra hot Vindallo powder

i know i am a newbie here, but bloody hell are you off your box????

I like my curries hot, (vindaloo etc), but...........

scotch bonnets are the devils scrotums

sorry hope i caused no offence

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2005, 07:30 PM »
NO YOU ARE NOT OUT OF YOUR BOX !!! I AM Remember if its gonna be a phall make it a DARTHPHALL MUHAHAAHAAAAA !! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2005, 08:07 AM »
Didn't finish this post the recipe were it smells like my local turns out different every time & not always smells right, there must be some truth that technique & experience help you create a take-away style curry, i seem to have lost my way recently following the recipes of other threads i`m beginning to believe my local is slightly different & to some point uses very fresh ingredients, some of the recipes given to us by BIR`s are bloody rubbish(except the base mix it`s a huge step in the right direction !! ;D ;D) & i would not like to get a take-away from them( no one has mentioned Spring Onion, whole cumin seeds ,whole black Mustard seeds or Poppy seeds ??) & other things .
time to go back to my roots !!!!!

Offline chillihead

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2005, 08:56 PM »
Hi all,

Im new to posting here but I have been browsing these forums for many months. Tonight I finally decided to get my a$$ into gear and im trying DarthPhall's recipe. I made the base a couple of days ago and frooze it and im literally cooking his vindaloo recipe at the moment. I cant wait to try it, smells yummy already!

:)

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2005, 09:32 PM »
Hope it turns out as it does for me yummeee !!!

All the best DARTHPHALL.....

Offline chillihead

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2005, 10:43 PM »
End result tastes very nice and very similar in texture to my local Vindaloo. I have saved it into portions and will try it tomorrow as the recipe says. I used 12 thin green chillies and 2 desert spoons of hot chilli powder instead of the birds eyes as my misses doesnt like it mega hot. It tastes nice now but tomorrow im hoping it will be better!  ;D

Question for you Darthphall - how long can you keep the curry frozen for?

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2005, 08:37 AM »
Good question.
Home-made Curries = I`ve had Home-Made Curries in the freezer for 2-3 weeks ( freeze them for work you see) & they taste as good frozen as they do fresh.( if not better).

But i`ve frozen Take-away Curries & after a week they taste very bland & seem to lose all their flavor.

Also not many have tried my DARTH MASALA please do try it,
       I'm sure you`ll love it,reduce Chillies for less heat for ya misses. ;D
                      .....http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=330.0

It makes a very nice & tasty Curry, Experiment with it & enjoy my good friend. :)

Offline Midge

• Chef
  • Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2005, 04:06 PM »
OK Ghanna & all on the forum
 hear is my " bloody hell it smells just like my take-away " curry.
? Make the base as indicated at top of this thread.(BEST BASE TO DATE ).
 INGREDIENTS.FOR THE ACTUAL CURRY.
 1. 2 LARGE SPANISH ONIONS
 2. 1 WHOLE GARLIC BULB.
 3. 1oz 25g FRESH GINGER.
 4. 14oz 400g TIN CHOPPED TOMATOES.
 5. 1 TABLESPOON TOMATOE KETCHUP.
 6. 1 TABLESPOON TOMATOE PUREE.
 7. 12 BIRDSEYE CHILIES.
 8. 2 WHOLE STAR ANISE.
 9. 1 TEASPOON GROUND CUMIN.
 10. 1 TEASPOON GROUND CORIANDER.
 11. 3 DESERT SPOON EXTRA HOT CHILLIER POWDER ( ORANGE/BRIGHT RED ) NOT BROWN RUBBISH.
 12. 1 TEASPOON FENGREEK.
 13. 1 TEASPOON GARAM MASALA.

METHOD.
? ?
 Finely chop 2 large Spanish onions , Garlic & Ginger.
 Heat 600ml of veg oil in large pan(i use a very large stew pot so i can heat it up really hot & have no oil spitting all over my brilliant white kitchen ;D ;D)
 This heating at high temp i believe gives the right smell as you have changed the properties of the oil,this is were i agree that if you use the oil from a previous
? batch to start another you get that taste & smell ,
 cook/fry the onions till they just start to go brown ( they are really sweet now !! )
 Add Ginger & Garlic cook until onions are browning all over turn down heat (medium).
 Add all spices ( not star anise ) cook for about 5 minutes.
 Add tin tomatoes,ketchup,puree & chillies bring to boil then turn down cook for approximately 10 minutes ( medium).
 Allow to cool then puree all ingredients add Star Anise cook medium 10 minutes.?
 Chop finely some coriander & stir into curry gravy.
 leave till next day.you will notice how sweet it has become & smells really nice ( can ya smell it ??)
 I COOK ALL MY CHICKEN THE SAME WAY? .3 breasts diced.put in pan, boil kettle put into pan with chicken & half teaspoon Turmeric & cook until cooked right through.
 I believe my success is due to my recipe`s being simple in spice content (if you had a take-away what would you do ?)
 I hope this is of use to you all. ALL THE BEST DARTHPHALL.
 p.s Ever eaten too many phall`s !!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

at what point do I add the Bassic Curry Sauce when making this recipe do you know?

Offline thomashenry

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2005, 04:10 PM »
Best base is Kris Dhillion. Just use that. Don't waste your time experiementing with loads of types of base. USe the KD one, and concentrate on cooking curries with that. You can get perfect BIR dishes from it.

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2005, 04:36 PM »
Best base is Kris Dhillion. Just use that. Don't waste your time experiementing with loads of types of base.

I don't think so, Ive tried a few bases and the KD one does nothing for me, yes you can make a nice curry with it but its not right.? I'm aware that Pete and others have had success with certain variations of it but that doesn't make it 100% correct.? Half the fun is experimenting anyway if it wasn't im sure most of us wouldn't bother.

©2024 Curry Recipes