Author Topic: Best Base to Date  (Read 31569 times)

Offline Midge

• Chef
  • Training
    • View Profile
Re: BEST BASE TO DATE.
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2005, 05:08 PM »
OK Ghanna & all on the forum
 hear is my " bloody hell it smells just like my take-away " curry.
? Make the base as indicated at top of this thread.(BEST BASE TO DATE ).
 INGREDIENTS.FOR THE ACTUAL CURRY.
 1. 2 LARGE SPANISH ONIONS
 2. 1 WHOLE GARLIC BULB.
 3. 1oz 25g FRESH GINGER.
 4. 14oz 400g TIN CHOPPED TOMATOES.
 5. 1 TABLESPOON TOMATOE KETCHUP.
 6. 1 TABLESPOON TOMATOE PUREE.
 7. 12 BIRDSEYE CHILIES.
 8. 2 WHOLE STAR ANISE.
 9. 1 TEASPOON GROUND CUMIN.
 10. 1 TEASPOON GROUND CORIANDER.
 11. 3 DESERT SPOON EXTRA HOT CHILLIER POWDER ( ORANGE/BRIGHT RED ) NOT BROWN RUBBISH.
 12. 1 TEASPOON FENGREEK.
 13. 1 TEASPOON GARAM MASALA.

METHOD.
? ?
 Finely chop 2 large Spanish onions , Garlic & Ginger.
 Heat 600ml of veg oil in large pan(i use a very large stew pot so i can heat it up really hot & have no oil spitting all over my brilliant white kitchen ;D ;D)
 This heating at high temp i believe gives the right smell as you have changed the properties of the oil,this is were i agree that if you use the oil from a previous
? batch to start another you get that taste & smell ,
 cook/fry the onions till they just start to go brown ( they are really sweet now !! )
 Add Ginger & Garlic cook until onions are browning all over turn down heat (medium).
 Add all spices ( not star anise ) cook for about 5 minutes.
 Add tin tomatoes,ketchup,puree & chillies bring to boil then turn down cook for approximately 10 minutes ( medium).
 Allow to cool then puree all ingredients add Star Anise cook medium 10 minutes.?
 Chop finely some coriander & stir into curry gravy.
 leave till next day.you will notice how sweet it has become & smells really nice ( can ya smell it ??)
 I COOK ALL MY CHICKEN THE SAME WAY? .3 breasts diced.put in pan, boil kettle put into pan with chicken & half teaspoon Turmeric & cook until cooked right through.
 I believe my success is due to my recipe`s being simple in spice content (if you had a take-away what would you do ?)
 I hope this is of use to you all. ALL THE BEST DARTHPHALL.
 p.s Ever eaten too many phall`s !!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

at what point do I add the Bassic Curry Sauce when making this recipe do you know?

This is a curry recipe! Not a Basic Curry Sauce anyways right?  So at what point do I add the basic curry sauce?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 05:11 PM by Midge »

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2005, 05:21 PM »
You got me there I thought it was a base   :-[

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2005, 06:47 PM »
This is a curry recipe! Not a Basic Curry Sauce anyways right?? So at what point do I add the basic curry sauce?
I believe you just add the cooked chicken to the sauce
i`ve frozen Take-away Curries & after a week they taste very bland & seem to lose all their flavor.
I have frozen loads, successfully
Mine all come back (sometimes a little less crisp) but full of flavour and, very annoyingly, STILL with the taste

Offline thomashenry

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2005, 07:29 PM »
Best base is Kris Dhillion. Just use that. Don't waste your time experiementing with loads of types of base.

I don't think so, Ive tried a few bases and the KD one does nothing for me, yes you can make a nice curry with it but its not right.  I'm aware that Pete and others have had success with certain variations of it but that doesn't make it 100% correct.  Half the fun is experimenting anyway if it wasn't im sure most of us wouldn't bother.

I'm now banging out perfect BIR dishes with it day in day out. Took me a while to get there (5 years!), but now I'm nailing it every time. The missing link is in the dish cooking, not the base. Dhillion is spot on, seriously.

Offline Midge

• Chef
  • Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2005, 09:18 PM »
This is a curry recipe! Not a Basic Curry Sauce anyways right?? So at what point do I add the basic curry sauce?
I believe you just add the cooked chicken to the sauce
i`ve frozen Take-away Curries & after a week they taste very bland & seem to lose all their flavor.
I have frozen loads, successfully
Mine all come back (sometimes a little less crisp) but full of flavour and, very annoyingly, STILL with the taste

OK Ghanna & all on the forum
 hear is my " bloody hell it smells just like my take-away " curry.
  Make the base as indicated at top of this thread.(BEST BASE TO DATE ).
 INGREDIENTS.FOR THE ACTUAL CURRY.
 1. 2 LARGE SPANISH ONIONS
 2. 1 WHOLE GARLIC BULB.
 3. 1oz 25g FRESH GINGER.
 4. 14oz 400g TIN CHOPPED TOMATOES.
 5. 1 TABLESPOON TOMATOE KETCHUP.
 6. 1 TABLESPOON TOMATOE PUREE.
 7. 12 BIRDSEYE CHILIES.
 8. 2 WHOLE STAR ANISE.
 9. 1 TEASPOON GROUND CUMIN.
 10. 1 TEASPOON GROUND CORIANDER.
 11. 3 DESERT SPOON EXTRA HOT CHILLIER POWDER ( ORANGE/BRIGHT RED ) NOT BROWN RUBBISH.
 12. 1 TEASPOON FENGREEK.
 13. 1 TEASPOON GARAM MASALA.

METHOD.

Finely chop 2 large Spanish onions , Garlic & Ginger.
 Heat 600ml of veg oil in large pan(i use a very large stew pot so i can heat it up really hot & have no oil spitting all over my brilliant white kitchen  )
 This heating at high temp i believe gives the right smell as you have changed the properties of the oil,this is were i agree that if you use the oil from a previous
  batch to start another you get that taste & smell ,
 cook/fry the onions till they just start to go brown ( they are really sweet now !! )
 Add Ginger & Garlic cook until onions are browning all over turn down heat (medium).
 Add all spices ( not star anise ) cook for about 5 minutes.
 Add tin tomatoes,ketchup,puree & chillies bring to boil then turn down cook for approximately 10 minutes ( medium).
 Allow to cool then puree all ingredients add Star Anise cook medium 10 minutes. 
 leave till next day.you will notice how sweet it has become & smells really nice ( can ya smell it ??)
 I COOK ALL MY CHICKEN THE SAME WAY  .3 breasts diced.put in pan, boil kettle put into pan with chicken & half teaspoon Turmeric & cook until cooked right through.
 I believe my success is due to my recipe`s being simple in spice content (if you had a take-away what would you do ?)
 I hope this is of use to you all. ALL THE BEST DARTHPHALL

OK, so after I have added the Basic Curry Sauce to the Chicken then add the above recipe once its all done?

Offline Midge

• Chef
  • Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2005, 09:19 PM »
Best base is Kris Dhillion. Just use that. Don't waste your time experiementing with loads of types of base.

I don't think so, Ive tried a few bases and the KD one does nothing for me, yes you can make a nice curry with it but its not right.? I'm aware that Pete and others have had success with certain variations of it but that doesn't make it 100% correct.? Half the fun is experimenting anyway if it wasn't im sure most of us wouldn't bother.

I'm now banging out perfect BIR dishes with it day in day out. Took me a while to get there (5 years!), but now I'm nailing it every time. The missing link is in the dish cooking, not the base. Dhillion is spot on, seriously.

The Dish cooking? what do you mean? Can you share that with me please?

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2005, 08:07 AM »
This is brilliant
What kind of cooker are you using?
Give us the details.
My main problem is consisatncy
I do a good curry but the next time I cook it, it might not be as good

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2005, 05:10 PM »
Midge, when you get to this part of the recipe.....
Add( base mix here ), tin tomatoes,ketchup,puree & chillies bring to boil then turn down cook for approximately 10 minutes ( medium).
 Allow to cool then puree all ingredients add Star Anise cook medium 10 minutes. 
 I COOK ALL MY CHICKEN THE SAME WAY  .3 breasts diced.put in pan, boil kettle put into pan with chicken & half teaspoon Turmeric & cook until cooked right through.
sorry if a bit vague but this was one of my first posts & its been unread for a long time.
try this recipe as its so much better http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=465.0   :)

Offline Midge

• Chef
  • Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2005, 05:25 PM »
Midge, when you get to this part of the recipe.....
Add( base mix here ), tin tomatoes,ketchup,puree & chillies bring to boil then turn down cook for approximately 10 minutes ( medium).
 Allow to cool then puree all ingredients add Star Anise cook medium 10 minutes.?
 I COOK ALL MY CHICKEN THE SAME WAY? .3 breasts diced.put in pan, boil kettle put into pan with chicken & half teaspoon Turmeric & cook until cooked right through.
sorry if a bit vague but this was one of my first posts & its been unread for a long time.
try this recipe as its so much better http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=465.0? ?:)

THANKS!!!

Heat 600ml of veg oil in large pan?? are you serious?? that much??? :P

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2005, 06:01 PM »
I use a lot less now but 600ml will give you a very oily BIR style Curry.Start with less & just see what you prefer.

©2024 Curry Recipes