Author Topic: CA's Onion Bhajis (Illustrated!)  (Read 48345 times)

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Onion Bhajis (Illustrated!)
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2009, 06:23 PM »
i just had a go at bhaji for the first time, using this recipe

i also made a mint sauce

the sauce was absoloutly lovley, but i realy need to work on the bhaji's !

i didint have gram flour so used plain flour, i think my mix was a bit thin, and i cooked them at to high a heat.

Basically i ended up with quite a mush, i struggled to keep them together in the wok, the taste was reasonable, but they were kinda burnt on outside and raw inside, this is all down to my cooking technique., just they didint quite look right and to be honest never made the grade, not even close.

However i still ate them so did the wife. I took pics of the finished article and wil upload later tonight. This will be as a warning to all of how not to make a bhaji lol.

Ah well at the very least i learned a few lessons and im sure my next attempt will be much better.

On the point of getting them round, i was thinking if they were scooped up using one of they pea/carrot scoops that all restaurants have, i tried it with a ladel, but a scoop like that would allow it to cook and form a ball better.

here is a pic of what i mean

these are used for tea, but i think they could be utilised for bhaji

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2009, 06:30 PM »
Basically i ended up with quite a mush, i struggled to keep them together in the wok, the taste was reasonable, but they were kinda burnt on outside and raw inside, this is all down to my cooking technique., just they didint quite look right and to be honest never made the grade, not even close.

Welcome to the mysterious world of Bhaji making!

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2009, 06:59 PM »
ok here are the pics

this is the mint used, the recipe here http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1224.0 apart from i used some yellow food colouring, i also used easy yo yogurt my wife made up from a packet, real lovley stuff, this was a lemon yogurt so i didint add any lemon to the recipe. it was superb!!!!

and here is the bhaji, as of this recipe except no gram flour.

here is a close up

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2009, 07:48 PM »
not bad for a first attempt , the Gram flour is a must i am afraid, i cook mines at about 170 and they turn out great, i think i will make a batch tomorrow with my lovely spicy onions

yum yum

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2009, 12:11 AM »
Hi Jimmy2x,

Yes, gram flour is really a must for onion bhajis.  I've also tried making them with plain flour and self raising flour but the texture and taste is all wrong (as, I think, you've found).

Ensure that your batter is STIFF.  In fact, you don't really need to add any water to the mix.  Just let the mix stand for a while.  The onions will release water into the batter and it will then be of about the right consistency for shaping and cooking.

Roll up your sleeves and get your hands and fingers mucky!  You can uses spoons (or the tea bag device you show) to shape them if you wish but, ultimately, I find that it is far easier just to shape them with your hands (quite good fun too!  :P)

Lastly, take care when cooking them.  If the oil is too hot, the outsides burn whilst the insides remain undercooked.  If the oil is too cool, they can be soggy.  It is difficult to get the insides cooked.  A little trial and error is needed.  Also, start by making small bhajis (maybe golf ball size) and perhaps go for a double cooking process whereby you fry them, cool them, then re-fry them.

Thanks for trying the recipe and reporting back with your photos  8)

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2009, 01:55 PM »
Tried this recipe yesterday.Made the bhajis a day before and used hardly any water, left in fridge overnight,partly fried them, let them go cold then placed in the top of the oven for about 10-15 mins, had a few friends round for darts night and didnt even have chance to take any pics.They were absolutely beautiful had them with sweet chilli dipping sauce.WONDERFUL.
Cheers CA

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2009, 03:30 PM »
got me some gram flour now :), got a few other things as well ie cassia bark and deggie mirch and other stuff i needed i just couldnt get a hold of unless online.

will have another go at the bhaji's this weekend this time with the correct flour.

will post up again.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2009, 03:57 PM »
They were absolutely beautiful had them with sweet chilli dipping sauce.WONDERFUL.
Cheers CA

Glad that they worked out well for you UF  8)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2009, 03:58 PM »
will have another go at the bhaji's this weekend this time with the correct flour. will post up again.

Look forward to hearing how you get on Jimmy  8)

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2009, 04:03 PM »
thx cory

im thinking i might cut the onion into smaller bits too, i think it was near impossible to get them round the last time because of the size of the onion.

im wondering if it might be worth pre-cooking the onion a bit before i add it to the flour. might help in cooking the insides better.

will just experiment a little till i find the best way. I dont have a deep fat fryer so just using a wok with lot of oil in as a substitute.

will of course post up some pics in this thread when im done.

regards

©2024 Curry Recipes