Author Topic: CA's Onion Bhajis (Illustrated!)  (Read 48261 times)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Onion Bhajis (Illustrated!)
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2012, 04:55 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D. I did smile when i read this.  I think your results are guaranteed to be better even before the bhajis hit the fryer ;D.  Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Offline fridgedoc

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2012, 11:55 PM »
Hi CA

I followed your recipe word for word but when I got to No. 6..............................................

My house exploded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote: 6.  Heat the oil in a deep-fat fryer to 1600C (or use a deep saucepan)

sorry, could not let that one go  :)

Offline DeeDee

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2012, 03:49 PM »
CA,

LOVE THIS RECIPE!!!  I've posted some images in the Photo section of my triumph (the bhajis, not the motorbike)!

Triumph Link

I did modify the recipe ever so slightly as I found the Essential / Optional a bit confusing in the 'heat of battle'.  I used all the ingredients, just put them in an order that I found easier to follow. 

One note:  I had to add about another 40g of besam to stop it all being too runny and I didn't use all the water.

Here is what I followed:

INGREDIENTS

Oil for deep-fat frying

DRY MIX

340 g onions (thinly sliced into about 4cm long strips)
120 g gram flour ("besan")
2 tsp dried fenugreek leaves (rubbed between fingers)
1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves (chopped)
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds

WET MIX

1 egg
3 tbsp Greek (or plain) yoghurt
3 tbsp fresh (or bottled) lemon juice
2 tsp garam masala (any decent one will do)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp curry power (any decent one will do)
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp tumeric powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
3 tsp sugar
1 tsp mint jelly
A few drops of yellow food colouring
About 50ml of water

METHOD

1.  Dissolve the mint jelly (if using) in a little warm water

2.  Put the onions and gram flour into a large non-metallic bowl (together with the fenugreek leaves,  fresh coriander, fennel seeds and cumin seeds, if using)

3.  Mix the egg, yoghurt, lemon juice, garam masala and salt (together with the sugar, dissolved mint jelly, curry powder, chilli powder, tumeric powder, garlic powder and food colouring, if using)

4.  Add the mixture from Step 3 to the onions and gram flour in Step 2

5.  Mix in just sufficient water (about 50ml), to form a STIFF batter, which falls sluggishly off a spoon - PHOTO 1

Note:  Don't add too much water!  Moisture will also be released from the onions and the batter may become too thin.  If this happens, add more gram flour to thicken it.  If the batter is too thin, the bhajis will be difficult to mould and will disintegrate whilst cooking!

6.  Heat the oil in a deep-fat fryer to 1600C (or use a deep saucepan)

Note:  Don't heat the oil to too high a temperature!  If it is too hot, the bhajis will burn on the outside and remain uncooked in the middle.  The oil should be just hot enough so that the bhajis initially sink, then rise to the surface after a few seconds, and then gently bubble away

7.  Use two tablespoons (or similar) to mould the batter into a rough ball shape 

Note:  This will be very tricky if the batter is too thin!

8.  Drop the bhajis, one by one, into the oil, and cook for about 5 minutes until the outside is golden - PHOTO 2

Note:  Only cook three or four bhajis at a time.  Otherwise, the oil will become too cool, for the bhajis to cook properly, and they will stick to each other. 

Note:  The bhajis will initially sink to the bottom of the pan.  After a few seconds, gently lift each bhaji off the bottom of the pan with a slotted spoon, fish slice, or similar implement (but ensure that the batter is firm enough to move them first!).  The bhajis will then rise to the surface and gently cook. 

Note:  Remove the bhajis before they are too dark; they will continue to cook and darken after they have been removed from the oil - PHOTO 2

9.  Use a slotted spoon to remove the bhajis.  Place them on kitchen paper to drain

Notes: 

1.  Unless stated otherwise, the following measures apply:

a)  "tsp"  = 1 level 5ml teaspoon
b)  "tbsp" = 1 level 15ml tablespoon

2.  If you cut the onions too short, the bhajis will have a much smoother (i.e. "pakora-like") appearance

3.  Best eaten, whilst warm, but  enjoyable cold too

4.  Serve on a bed of lettuce, with lemon, fresh coriander and mint or tandoori raita (see here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1224.0)- PHOTOS 3 & 4

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2012, 04:58 PM »
Thanks DeeDee for posting your photos ...  your bhajis looked so good I had to try so I've just finished making these exactly to spec ( inc. the optionals ) and these were amazing .. consistency perfect , flavour perfect and a doddle to make  ... surprise surprise another great recipe from the 'main man' Cory Ander ... well done ( again ! )  Sir !!    :)

Offline bustinmelva

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2012, 12:35 PM »
yep had these quite a few times now as i love onion bhajis, i even have them as a snack with a salad.
they come out of the deep fryer perfect every time,
didn't ever have to add extra water though as the yoghurt and lemon juice seems to be enough.
thanks again cory every recipe i've made from you seems to be (almost) spot on so far.
and i say almost only because i had to make a few adjustments, probably down to quantities, my own taste and a bit of common sense i guess.

thanks CA   

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2013, 02:45 PM »
Made my first batch of these today. Hitherto been using C2G recipe which are very nice and made to a different spec  eg  g&g paste used and no yoghurt.

Pictures to follow if anybody is interested but I must say I like these better than those I have done before. It is always difficult to describe how things taste on here but these were fresh, cripsy on the outside and just the right consistency inside. heated right through although I did not use Julian's method of sticking a knife in and opening them up before back into the fryer for the last minute or so. They didn't need this. They do keep releasing bursts of different flavours as you eat them which is not surprising considering the assortment of ingredients that go into these. A few comments -

I made the recipe to spec on weights etc. I made two batches. The first gave me 7 bhajis, the second , 9. None of these was over 7cm in diameter so not sure where CA gets 10 x 8cm ones out of a batch. Ok mine were slightly different sizes and the second batch had about 40g more onion to start. I matters not.

I used ALL ingredients, essential and optional.

I did not need all the water. About 25ml was sufficient.
I have never been good at shaping these with spoons so resorted to using gloved hands!!
Did these in batches of four to give them space.
The yoghurt seems to give them a slight 'skin' type coating. Difficult to describe but clearer I think in CA's original picture.
These held together much better than any C2G efforts I have made.

What I particularly like about this recipe is the specific measurements which actually combine well first go to give a good batter.

In future I will double this mixture and use a larger bowl. For convenience only really as I like to knock up a good few for the freezer.  Bhajis are messy to make at the best of times so I prefer to do more but less often.

Thank you CA - another winner   ( still prefer Julian's base though  ;) )

Let's try some pics.
The last three await their fate
Image hosting by CR0.co.uk

In the heat

Drip dry?

For the eagle eyed  -  yes I ate one.. Well it would be rude not to  :o
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 03:10 PM by RubyDoo »

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2013, 09:23 PM »
They look good, Ruby : with what did (or will) you serve them ?
** Phil.

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2013, 10:05 PM »
They look good, Ruby : with what did (or will) you serve them ?
** Phil.

Mint sauce ( Dipjuraps ( spell? ) ), mango chutters and pappadum heavily coated in a good hot lime pickle  ;).. Fresh onion salad maybe  ;D :P

Offline Alchemist

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2013, 09:57 PM »
Used this recipe to cook a big batch for a charity BBQ today.  Went down a storm, so well pleased with the results.  Cheers!

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2013, 11:31 PM »
They look great - go you deliver to South West Scotland?  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes