Author Topic: Chicken Tikka Masala - The Authentic Real Deal.  (Read 102142 times)

Offline olibubble

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Tikka Masala - The Authentic Real Deal.
« Reply #110 on: November 02, 2011, 06:21 PM »
mine seems to be separated into a yellowy coloured part and a white part... are both ok to use?

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 03, 2011, 01:01 AM »
I think the yellow CTMs look awful and totally non-authentic, even if they taste brilliant.

As for tomato soup, I can believe it's an ingredient with a lot of potential. Last night, I used half a can (dated 2004) of Heinz Cream of tomato soup when I realised I'd run out of tinned tomatoes.  I'd fried up an onion and some garlic and wanted to add tomatoes, to make a quick sauce to go with some grilled chicken. It tasted better than my normal version of this simple sauce, when I use plain tinned tomatoes.

I've probably mentioned my opinion on recipe changes many times before, like leaving out X, altering Y, and adding Z. I think it's pure psychology, like leaving one's mark (as a dog marks a lamp post) or in the belief you've invented something new. People try to  justify such changes, for example by saying they don't like coconut or something. It's irrational. Would you ask a BIR for the ingredients in their CTM and then ask them to change the recipe, just for you?

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 03, 2011, 07:41 AM »
mine seems to be separated into a yellowy coloured part and a white part... are both ok to use?

Yes this is ok, creamed coconut often seems to separate like this.

Offline olibubble

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 17, 2011, 04:51 PM »
the base sauce when it says to add watr at the end... how much base sauce is this supposed to make, so i know how much water i should be adding?

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 17, 2011, 05:39 PM »
I usually add around a cup of water over the 20 minute period so just make a note where the base comes up to on your pan/pot and just add a little water towards the end to end up with 3 pints (approx), i get 3 pints of base and around 1-2 ladles left in the pot.

Offline Geezah

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 02, 2012, 06:47 PM »
I think the yellow CTMs look awful and totally non-authentic, even if they taste brilliant.

I've probably mentioned my opinion on recipe changes many times before, like leaving out X, altering Y, and adding Z. I think it's pure psychology, like leaving one's mark (as a dog marks a lamp post) or in the belief you've invented something new. People try to  justify such changes, for example by saying they don't like coconut or something. It's irrational. Would you ask a BIR for the ingredients in their CTM and then ask them to change the recipe, just for you?

I really cant see the purpose of adding a colouring just so it looks authentic, maybe if I was serving it to guests I would consider it, but its non value added imo.

I changed the recipe I use to suit the taste of myself and wife.
I found this original recipe a little bit overpowering with the coconut and almond taste compared to my usual T.A / Restaurant CTM, I ommitted honey because I felt it doesn't need it. I have added the odd tsp of sugar when my base hasn't quite hit the sweetness level, but thats just cooking by taste.
I upped the amount of methi because I like the flavour.
The change in the pre cooked chicken was because the new recipe delivered a simpler, healthier and flavoursome tika.
Its still a CTM, just my adaption of the origonal recipe.

I certainly wouldnt ask a restaurant to change how they cook their dishes, but I do have prefered restaurants for specific dishes, as a dish will taste slightly different from 1 restaurant to the next. Maybe they have different recipes too  :-X

Offline lorrydoo

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 07, 2012, 05:15 PM »
I still make this regularly on request but recently hit on a cooking technique that improves all curries and includes double cooking of the base.

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 07, 2012, 06:51 PM »
explain LorryDoo

Offline spook8519

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 08, 2014, 10:35 PM »
I tried this recipe yesterday, and Wife (who is very critical) says that I have cracked the CTM :)

Offline Tim.C

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 24, 2014, 10:07 AM »
I used this yesterday, on the spur of the moment. I had to change the creamed coconut for coconut milk as I didn't have any in. I was pretty impressed. Could cut down on the tomato soup, but only a bit. I think.   Otherwise it got good comments from the familiyy

©2024 Curry Recipes