Author Topic: Chicken Tikka Masala - The Authentic Real Deal.  (Read 101921 times)

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Tikka Masala - The Authentic Real Deal.
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2010, 11:17 PM »
Can the Tikka masala sauce be frozen?

Yes, of course, just as the final CTM can be UF  :)
Just wondered about the tomato soup being in the sauce,but thanks anyway.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2010, 12:39 AM »
I think it's quite common for BIRs to use tomato soup in their CTMs Stephen.

And I think you're believing one too many BIR myths! Of course if you have proof, well...

I've had them.  The taste is unmistakable (and not particularly good, in my opinion).

I'll try and get your affidavits from said BIRs SS...... ;)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2010, 12:40 AM »
Just wondered about the tomato soup being in the sauce,but thanks anyway.

I can't see that that would be a problem UF?

Offline Hargiwald

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2010, 09:55 AM »
This sounds interesting, but I still haven't been able to get my hands on creamed coconut. Also, I'm lactose intolerant, and while I can find milk and cream free from lactose pretty easily, I'm not to sure about creamy tomato soup. I'd like to try this, but I probably won't be able to.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2010, 01:46 PM »
Hargiwald, perhaps you could try replacing the soup with Passata and adding your lactose free cream, would that work?

Offline MethiGoshtFreak

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2010, 01:39 AM »
Well the creation of Chicken Tikka Masala was,reputedly,invented in Glasgow in the mid-late 60's...Heinz Cream Of Tomato soup was the key ingredient-added to a customer's complaint that his Tikka was nice but too dry...the reataurant was called the Taj Mahal next to The Doublet Bar on Park St..it's now the site of The Shish Mahal...i used to live right across the road from it in those days..

Offline Hargiwald

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2010, 04:23 PM »
Hargiwald, perhaps you could try replacing the soup with Passata and adding your lactose free cream, would that work?

Sorry for the long response time. Might do.

Damn, I haven't made a BIR style curry i months now, I just kind of gave up on it. My mind isn't strong enough for all these different methods, experiments etc. But I think it's rested enough now, it's curry time, baby.

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2010, 04:52 PM »
Hi lorrydoo been using this recipe for about a month now and my other half says its better than TA's by me, not a fan of it myself (CTM not your recipe) but i must admit it is a wonderful recipe.
Thanks.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2010, 05:27 PM »
The story behind Chicken Tikka Masala was a bloke in london years ago loved his local restaurants Chicken Tikka but one night told the chef that it was a shame it was so dry and would be nice with some sauce.
The chef being an accomodating man said he'd see what he could do, went into the kitchen, looked around and found a tin of Heinz tomato soup.
This he threw in a pan along with some spices and voulla, Chicken Tikka Masala.

Well the creation of Chicken Tikka Masala was,reputedly,invented in Glasgow in the mid-late 60's...Heinz Cream Of Tomato soup was the key ingredient-added to a customer's complaint that his Tikka was nice but too dry...the reataurant was called the Taj Mahal next to The Doublet Bar on Park St..it's now the site of The Shish Mahal...i used to live right across the road from it in those days..

This moaning bloke gets about a bit don't he?  If chicken tikka was too dry, why did he order it in the first place ;D

That's like ordering a glass of water, then complaining that it's a 'bit wet'

Ray :)

Offline michaelpratt

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2010, 07:52 PM »
Rather than the soup you could add passata as the total quantity/ volume of tomatoes (soup and tinned plum) and add half a teaspoon of sugar and a generous ounce  - maybe 2 -of unsalted butter. I have done this in none BIR (mostly weird Italian short-cut) recipes and it works the same. Somehow adding your own poisons is more satisfying than letting Mr. Heinz do it for you.

©2024 Curry Recipes