Author Topic: Chicken Tikka Masala - The Authentic Real Deal.  (Read 101516 times)

Offline lorrydoo

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Chicken Tikka Masala - The Authentic Real Deal.
« on: May 07, 2007, 06:26 PM »
I have had this recipe for a while now and take my word for it, it is absolutely brilliant.  A 100% clone of a high quality BIR chicken tikka, it is the authentic real deal.  Make it and see for yourself! 

Authentic BIR Chicken Tikka Masala

Mix 4 heaped tablespoons of natural yoghurt, 1 teaspoon lemon juice 1 heaped tablespoon of Pataks Tandoori paste.   If you want the BIR colour then add a pinch or so of red and yellow powdered food colouring.

Cut 4 chicken breasts into desired sized chunks and cover with marinade and refrigerate for 24 hours.

Next; after marinating, pre heat oven to highest heat and  skewer the chicken onto skewers and place on a baking tray at the top of the a pre-heated oven.  Cook for about 10 minutes or more, making sure the chicken is cooked thoroughly (break the biggest bit in half to see if it is white all the way through.)

The base sauce

2 heaped tablespoons of ghee or oil of your choice (I use vegetable oil).

1 KG of onions of your choice

75g of fresh garlic

75g of fresh ginger

1 tin of tomatoes (pureed)

2 level teaspoons of turmeric

2 level teaspoons of paprika

1 level teaspoon of coriander

1 level teaspoon of cumin

1 teaspoon of tomato puree

1 level teaspoon of salt

2 pints of water (1.4 litres)

Method

Roughly chop the onions and add to a large pan.  Liquidise the ginger and garlic in a blender with a little water and add to the onions with the remainder of the water. Bring to the boil with lid off (important, to prevent the stewed onion taste) and simmer for 45 minutes (lid off) or until the onions are extremely soft.

Leave to cool ten liquidise very thoroughly.

Next; mix the 4 spices with a little water to make a paste.

Put ghee or oil in a pan on a medium heat, add the spice paste and cook for 30 seconds, no longer or they will easily burn!

Now add the tin of liquidised tomatoes, tomato puree and the salt to the spices in the pan and cook for a further 5 minutes.

Add this to the onion garlic and ginger mixture, bring back to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.  Remember keep the pan lid off and stir to stop sticking to the bottom of the pan.  Because the water content will be reduced, you can add water after the 20 minute simmering period.  This can now e frozen in 1 pint batches for future use

Tadah , one perfect base sauce!

Tikka Masala sauce

2 tablespoons of butter ghee or oil of your choice

1 pint of base sauce

Half of a 200g block of creamed coconut

2 tablespoons of ground almonds

1 tablespoon of clear honey

1 tablespoon of tomato ketchup

175ml of Heinz cream of tomato soup

1 level teaspoon of salt

1 level teaspoon of paprika

1 level teaspoon of chilli powder

1 level teaspoon garam masala

? teaspoon of cumin

? teaspoon of red powdered food colouring (optional but would recommend)

1 table spoon of dried fenugreek leaves

Method;

Heat the ghee or oil in a pan until very hot.  Slowly add the base sauce, it will spatter at first so be careful. 

Bring to boil and add the salt, paprika, chlli and food colouring, cooking for around 10 minutes until the sauce starts to thicken.

Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 2 minutes, then add the pre-cooked chicken tikka pieces, simmer for a further 2 minutes and your done.

Sprinkle with fresh coriander to serve.

Enjoy.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 03:57 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The authentic real deal.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 09:05 AM »
hi lorrydoo
 this looks like a cross between kd and the balti kitchen and pc where did you get this recipe from? oh and how much is ?cummin ? red food colouring ? and no cream?
anyway no offence ment they all seem very familiar.

regards
gary

Offline lorrydoo

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 06:58 PM »
Sorry Garry, didnt realise about the ?   It is 1/2 teaspoon of cumin and red food colouring at the stage where the ? are.

This recipe was given to me a while back and it has been reproduced many times, without cream and it is superb.  I didnt come up with it myself and it probably exists elsewhere in some form or other but I was led to believe it was a authentic BIR curry. (it without a doubt tastes like one to me)

Follow it to the letter and you wont go far wrong.  You can add cream if you want, I never have and its fine, you dont have to add the methi leaves either if you dont want, I do because I like their flavour.

Hope this helps.

Offline lorrydoo

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 08:36 PM »
Garry, I also found this bit of info recently and it may help and it may already be on this great site somewhere.

For good quality, cheap chicken stock, use chicken wings.  Rost them before boiling, without any other ingredients.  This might be useful to someone.

Offline malacara

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Tikka Masala - The Authentic Real Deal.
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 10:52 PM »
Hello,

I am decided to give it a try, however I am not sure the weight of the tin of pureed tomatoes, is a 400 gr. tin?. Please help

Thanks and regard

Offline Totem

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 03:29 PM »
Tonight I'll be having this for the third time to use up the last of the base sauce. Awesome recipe and easy to cook for a novice like me.

For the last two I chucked in a few whole Thai chillies as I like it with a bit of a kick and the girlfriend doesn't so she can just pick them out.

Thanks Lorrydoo.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 05:22 PM »
Hi LD,

I know it's been a while since you posted this recipe but I got around to making this last night.  I've struggled with CTM previously as it is not a dish that I'm into but I made this for the wife and kids last night.  They really enjoyed it and said it was the best that I'VE made them upto now.  Just one thing, I think I will reduce the salt next time as that was their only complaint!

Cheers,
Ray

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 10:27 PM »
Don't doubt that it tastes good (which I suppose should be the only factor worth considering) but can't get my head round using cream of tomato soup in the sauce!

:o

It feels like a bit of a bit of a cheat but then who am I to say. Still trying to work out why my reaction to this is so extreme.

Maybe I am a curry snob ha ha.

;D

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 10:52 PM »
can't get my head round using cream of tomato soup in the sauce!

I think it's quite common for BIRs to use tomato soup in their CTMs Stephen.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 12:07 AM »
I suppose I shouldn't knock it till I try it!

©2024 Curry Recipes