Author Topic: No name BIR Chicken Curry  (Read 2979 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
No name BIR Chicken Curry
« on: July 07, 2021, 01:18 AM »
I'm not sure what you'd call this and I'm documenting it here for my own recording purposes, while it is fresh in my mind, but give it a try.  Dopiaza (double onion) Mild Madras (curry paste) Tikka, Balti (tomato and capsicum pieces) and whatever you call a dish with yogurt.  I call it a bloody good Chicken Curry.  Obviously you could adapt this to your own tastes with the possible additions of Green Chilli, extra chilli powder, some additional tomato paste, other spices, coriander etc etc.  I asked wifey if she wanted mushrooms in it and she said it would be a waste of mushrooms.
Huh??? 

No additional salt was added or needed.

This amount would serve 3 - 4 people or 2 very hungry ones, and you could probably just up the amount of chicken.

6 large pieces Chicken Tikka cut in half.  (Could use just normal BIR pre-cooked)
Base Gravy (of choice) 400 - 600 ml. (Chicken flavoured Faz Base used. That's Faz, not Taz, but use anything.)

Pre-fry:  (Gently fry till onion is just transparent and remove for later.)
1 TBSP oil
1 chopped onion
1/4 chopped green capsicum

Infuse 3 TBSP Oil with (Note: I didn't measure the oil so maybe only 2 TBSP)
1/2 tsp cumin seed
1 Tej Patta leaf
Cassia Bark  ( I used about 6 cm2.)
3 Green Cardamom pods  (You all know how to do that.)

Add 1 heaped TBSP Ginger & Garlic Paste  (It splatters and pops and fizzes all over the place. Do not burn. Lift from heat, blah blah blah)
Add 1 1/2 heaped TBSP Rik's Mild Madras Curry Paste.  (At this point you could use any paste of your choice or even just some Mixed Powder.)

Cook carefully loosening with a little water and small amount of Base Gravy.  (Do not burn but once loosened you are pretty safe to go for it.)

Add the pre-fried Onion and Capsicum along with a ladle of Base Gravy.

continue Base Gravy / Reductions.

Add Chicken Tikka and 1 tsp Kasoori Methi

More Base Gravy / reductions.

Add 1/2 a Tomato cut into chunks and a few slices of Red Capsicum.  This will be cooked to soft with tomato dissolving.

Remove whole Garam Masala spices if desired. (I did because I'm not a big fan of Cardamom bombs in your last mouthful.)

Once sauce is cooked down to desired consistency add 1/3 to 1/2 cup of whipped yogurt while stirring.  (You could skip this or use cream or even coconut.)

Add extra chopped 1/2 tomato and cook only slightly.

Done.  Garnish if you could be bothered or just eat it with rice, vegetables and a naan.  I used plain boiled Brown Basmati Rice and there were already roast vegetables on the table.

What ever Bon Appetite is in Indian !
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 12:14 AM by livo »

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: No name BIR Chicken Curry
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 10:31 PM »
Thanks livo, that’s a strong recommendation so will definitely give that a try, maybe this weekend if I can convince the missis.  Tonight I’m doing Instant Pot lamb rogan josh and will post about it if worthwhile.

Robbo

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: No name BIR Chicken Curry
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2021, 11:44 PM »
Mrs L and I finished it off last night and it is a very enjoyable curry. I'll be doing it again. I highly recommend the Faz base gravy and Rik's Madras curry paste.  The good thing about this is that it is just a foundation for variation. 

It's a big turning point for me as I felt very comfortable winging it. No recipe. Just relying on the spice knowledge and techniques I've learnt over the years.  Many thanks to all the help and advice from the people here and this forum.

©2024 Curry Recipes