Author Topic: Spice storage tips  (Read 17672 times)

Offline Jethro

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Spice storage tips
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 10:25 PM »
I have a spare fridge which i use as my curry fridge :) all the spices go in cleaned out patak's sauce jars  - garlic, ginger puree go in the freezer section in ice cube form. along with containers of base sauce

Kev.

Hi Kev,

Sounds good but my only concern would be getting quite cold glass containers of spices out of a fridge into a warm kitchen.
This could cause condensation on the inside of your jars and that could be detrimental to the contents.

Jethro

Offline Welshdai

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 01:11 PM »
Try here http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0225921 they start from 330ml for 0.75p and go up to 2.6l for 2.49p there is also these http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0250640 5 x 0.99p would they be big enough ?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 01:14 PM by Welshdai »

Offline Jethro

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 06:41 PM »
Try here http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0225921 they start from 330ml for 0.75p and go up to 2.6l for 2.49p there is also these http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0250640 5 x 0.99p would they be big enough ?

They look fine to me, the only thing I would be concerned about is this bit of small print:

"Base only is dishwasher and microwave safe. Not for use for cooking."
Just hope they don't melt when you are defrosting any bases/leftover curry.  ::)

Offline Welshdai

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 07:23 PM »
I was thinking of the smaller ones to store the spices.

Offline brum_57

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2007, 09:58 PM »
I have a spare fridge which i use as my curry fridge :) all the spices go in cleaned out patak's sauce jars  - garlic, ginger puree go in the freezer section in ice cube form. along with containers of base sauce

Kev.

Hi Kev,

Sounds good but my only concern would be getting quite cold glass containers of spices out of a fridge into a warm kitchen.
This could cause condensation on the inside of your jars and that could be detrimental to the contents.

Jethro

Hi jethro - never had any problems with condensation - the jars are never out of the fridge long enough to warm up - just get the required amount of spices out and they go straight back in the fridge -

Kev.

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2007, 04:33 PM »
I've got 2 massala dubbas, stainless steel tins with small s/steel dishes inside to keep my spices in.  I have also got a lovely wooden round spice tower which has ceramic drawers in to keep them. Both of which are excellent for storing as the massals dubbas have s/steel lids to keep spices in the dark and of course the ceraminc drawers also are in the dark when closed. CQ

Offline niannorth

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 04:18 PM »
I'm a newbee so forgive me if this has been said.  :-\

I always freeze my ginger then grate it from frozen. Also I grate some then put it in an ice cube tray inside a bag in the feezer. Then if ever I haven't got fresh I've got plenty to hand.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 02:15 PM »
I use old round metal biscuit tins, like the kind you get at New Year and I have large packets of whole spices in a couple of tins. I then freshly grind things like coriander, cumin, garam masala etc in small batches and keep them in jars in another tin. The tins then go into a kitchen cupboard so overall they are kept away from heat and light, and to a certain extent, air. Have been using this method for years with no problems.

Offline Joe the Schwab

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2011, 10:59 AM »
greetings curry lovers.although i mentioned this before in the kitchen eqpt thread , i use a vacuum bag sealer as one of my methods of storing dried herbs and spices . i also use boxes like jethroes though i dont store products in them without if possible, their original packaging , ie packets . once the packets are opened , they are then re-sealed using the vacuum bag sealer .i also use the thermos hand pumped vacuum boxes . imo , the extraction of as much air as possible from ones containers and bags is paramount in preserving ones valued and costly spice and herb collection.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2012, 03:27 PM »
I have to admit that my spice storage arrangements have been a shambles for about ten years, since I started buying more and more spices.

All that time, I've been storing spices as follows, with the original bags held together roughly with clothes pegs, and dumped in several carrier bags. Not surprisingly, I can never find anything:

I know it would be best to remove as much air as possible via a vacuum device but I can't see me doing that after every use of each packet.

Instead, I just hit on the idea of using old VHS video cassette cases. I'll label each box and find somewhere to store them, for ease of access.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 06:10 PM by George »

©2024 Curry Recipes