Author Topic: Spice storage tips  (Read 17850 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Spice storage tips
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2012, 03:56 PM »
Great idea, George : not only must VHS boxes be totally unwanted by 99% of the population these days (and hence valueless, although presumably increasingly scarce) but you can also store youir cookery books and your spices in the same bookcase !

** Phil.

Offline Tommy Timebomb

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2012, 04:35 PM »
They also look handy for freezing cooked rice? ;D
Or is just me ???

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2012, 12:21 PM »
Pretty neat idea George, my spice cupboard is a picture of mayhem! Your uncanny method of makes for interesting meal names too.. tonight's meal will be chicken in 'Titanic' and 'Ice Cold in Alex' sauce! 8)

Offline Joe the Schwab

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2013, 06:09 PM »
Hmm? Old video boxes for storage.Novel idea but far from ideal and cloths pegs as bag fasteners?Video boxes are not airtight and the clothes pegs do not exert enough pressure to seal the opened bags.Correct storage of products wether fresh,dried or frozen is essential.

Shelf life is an obvious reason for good storage techniques.What with the cost of products continually rising,replacement of 'stale' or contaminated herbs and spices needs to be minimal.But why waste anyway?

@tommy timebomb.
Video boxes for storing frozen rice hmm?There is nothing worse in freezers,for those with limited freezers/space than rigid boxes.Flexibility is key in maximizing ones freezer space.Also,maximizing the available space helps to reduce running costs by allowing the freezer to work more efficiently by having to work less hard to maintain the cold temperatures required.

@George.
You need to get a grip George ;D

Offline Sam33

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2013, 05:14 PM »
Wow thats a lot of spices you have there! I totally agree with buying in bulk though you bet about about 5 times more than what you would be paying for in a supermarket! I like you idea of storing them in sandwich boxes to stay fresh. I get mine online from www.herbedup.com and they come in resealable bags so they stay very fresh, may borrow your idea and buy a few small tubs for my most used spices though. Its always handy to have some out on the kitchen counter! :)

Sam

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2013, 10:32 AM »

.....and the clothes pegs do not exert enough pressure to seal the opened bags.

I would dispute that if the top of the bag is well rolled over.

Mine are all rolled over, secured with elastic bands and then I store the lot in a 10 litre mayo tub with a snap on lid in a dark cool cupboard. I just put out the required spice measurements in to a load of small stainless steel dishes I acquired before I start cooking. My spice mix is kept in one of those tupperware boxes with the blue snap on sides.

Offline failsafe

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2013, 03:26 PM »
I just use the plastic TA containers to store individual spices, which seems OK and a easy solution for storage

I buy my spices etc from here:

http://www.theasiancookshop.co.uk/index.asp

©2024 Curry Recipes