Author Topic: How to Get That BIR "Smokey/Toffee-Like" Taste (Illustrated!)  (Read 38233 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: How to Get That BIR "Smokey/Toffee-Like" Taste (Illustrated!)
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 09:42 AM »
Cory

What a great post and superb photos! Many thanks.

I notice you say to simply "shake and stir" the ingredients in the pan, which is what I've always done, and looks like what BIR chefs do when I can see them working in open plan take away kitchens.

Whereas Andy says: "The key is heat, speed, and the mastering of the use of the spoon to extract the aroma and flavour. Once you have cracked it, it will become second nature." I took his use of the spoon in most of his recipes as a sort of number one secret if indeed there is one.

Have you (or anyone else here) tried this scraping of the spoon to compress the ingredients in the pan, and does it seem to make any difference to the final taste?

I should add that I'm not interested in starting any kind of slanging match here. Either the scraping of the spoon makes a difference, or it doesn't, to the final taste. That's all I'm intererested in - ascertaining which recipe and techniques help produce the best flavours.

Regards
George

Offline Paul-B

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 10:23 AM »
Thanks for the links, Cory. I see Eurocosm do an indoor version for ?79, looks ideal for me (my kitchen doesn't have gas). Do you reckon that would get hot enough?

http://www.eurocosm.com/Application/Products/Cooking-products/hot-wok-silver-GB.asp

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 10:53 AM »
Hi George,

I sometimes stand and stir\scrape depending on what else I have on the go.  If I'm cooking\preparing other bits at the same I will usually leave the pan alone and return occasionally for a quick shake and stir.  Can't say I notice a difference what about yourself have you seen the "scraping" video, what did you think?

cK

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 11:54 AM »
Can't say I notice a difference what about yourself have you seen the "scraping" video, what did you think?

I think the scraping video was filmed in a domestic kitchen. It didn't inspire confidence. I'm only interested in final taste. Scraping didn't seem to add anything to my results - now you say much the same, by the sound of it. Has anyone else found the scraping technique to be any kind of breakthrough in terms of taste?

Regards
George

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2007, 08:08 AM »
That cooker looks amazing
Sorry to repeat, but do you feel you are getting 100%BIR copy?
I am seriously thinking of getting  something like this
Have you found a British equivalent of your cooker?
(sorry if this has been already mentioned, bit short of time,going to work)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2007, 09:49 PM »
Do you reckon that would get hot enough?

Looks very nice PB but, it appears to me that the "inside" version of the "HotWok" (shown here) is a bit on the weedy side (3.7kW is equivalent to about 13MJ/h, by my reckoning, though someone should probably check this!) and is akin to a typical domestic cooker.  I certainly wouldn't bother with it if I already had a gas cooker or a reasonable camping stove.

The outside version (at 7kW or 25 MJ/h) is much more like it IMHO.  8)

Regards,

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2007, 03:14 PM »
Here's a Rochdale chef (Farooq Ahmed, head chef at Veenas) competing in the 2007 national curry cooking competition......obviously just trying to impress the judges with the flames I guess! ::)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 03:16 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Nessa

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 08:30 PM »
Wow that looks awesome but I am definitely NOT trying that at home!  :o I guess this is confirmation that the very high heat and flames produce that taste we have so much trouble trying to replicate, as I was inclined to believe. Good job Cory Ander!

On a side note it's great to be back here, I've been away for a while and so much has changed!

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2007, 10:31 AM »
Welcome back Nesa, hope you are well.

I recommend doing this sort of cooking in your garden, will save your house from catching on fire.

Always keep a wet cloth near the pan in case you need to lay it on top.

Stew

Offline Nessa

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2007, 12:14 PM »
Cheers Stew. :)

Even in the garden this looks too terrifying, but I told the other half about this and he's keen to give it a go, I'll just stand by with the hose at the ready!

©2024 Curry Recipes