Author Topic: Time to stop leaching.  (Read 1479 times)

Offline HOTRING

• Chef
    • View Profile
Time to stop leaching.
« on: May 26, 2007, 03:58 PM »
Hi all.
After reading the amazing recipes from this forum for the past two years I thought it was about time I said hi and gave a little back, my interest in cooking curries started in about 93, trying many of the traditional recipes, always looking for that British Indian restaurant taste, but never seem to find it, a few years after that I came across the Khris Dhillon book, but was basically unimpressed, and so in a cupboard it went.  About three years ago, the Khris Dhillon book resurfaced and I had another go still unimpressed, I decided to have a search of the Internet which led me to this fabulous site! Now My Friends and Family Are so Impressed with the tasty curries I'm turning out!

So far, the gravies I have used are as follows
Khris Dhillon curry gravy
Darthphall's Curry Base
ifindforyou A GOOD CURRY BASE
ifindforyou AN EVEN BETTER CURRY BASE
andy2295 10 Year curry house experience- Base gravy/sauce

And these are my favourite curries
Dhansak Mark J
Patia Dylan
Cory Ander, Ceylon
Hansel, Dopiaza

My favourite base gravy to date must be.  Ifindforus  ' even better Curry base ' the curries I have made using this sauce are the closest to my favourite local curry house, I do believe this is a lot due to personal preference, as in my city two restaurants side to side can have totally different tastes to the same dish also the tastes seem to vary quite considerably from city to city.
I have just made Andys ' 10 year curry house experience base '.  I was a little bit wary of making this, as the bases I made before containing carrots, leeks, celery etc tended to be a bit watery tasting for my liking.  But this one although I haven't tried it as yet, seems great similar looking to madras sauce already and I think the spice mixture added in stage two will make this gravy very tasty. (Thanks Andy for all your hard work and effort even if you are chili prawn or a extra terrestrial with a weird IP address LOL) I'll be cooking with this later in the week and will post my results.
When it comes to cooking vindaloo, madras I have tried many recipes from here but now pick what I think are good points from a whole mixture of recipes, but have as yet to get it just how I like it, but when it comes to patia, and Ceylon I got to say for me Cory Ander and Dylans are bang on, regardless of which gravy use.
Sorry it took me so long to introduce myself but every time I visit this site I then go off to the kitchen and cook myself a curry, after which I'm too stuff to do anything.
By the way hotring is what I use to cook my curries on should any children be reading LOL
keep up the great work.
Regards,
Hotring
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 04:48 PM by HOTRING »

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Time to stop leaching.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 11:03 PM »
Welcome aboard Hotring  ;) Why have you left it two years? You are obviously as crazy about curry as the rest of us. Looks like you have already sampled a few recipes. Looking forward to hearing more from you...

All the best.....mike.... ;D

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Time to stop leaching.
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 10:37 AM »
Hi HR,

Welcome aboard  ;)

I rate the ifindforu base quite highly as well but as you say it's down to personal preference and maybe why it doesn't get as much credit as it deserves.

cK

©2024 Curry Recipes