Author Topic: Curry Base - Scaling Up & Scaling Down  (Read 9110 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Curry Base - Scaling Up & Scaling Down
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 04:02 AM »
I hope nobody minds, but to maintain the intergrity of this thread, and to make things easier for others to find, I moved Pacman's Naan recipe (posted by George) to the recipe sections here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1870.0  8)

Offline Paul-B

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 09:58 AM »
I'm relatively new to this forum, and to cooking BIR curries, but I made my first batch of Darth's base sauce a while back. Due to the constraints of the utensils I had at the time I had to downsize Darth's recipe by 50%. I have to say that the resulting base was excellent, and although I haven't made a full-size batch I can't imagine doubling my ingredients would have made much difference to the final result, particularly since it is, after all, a base and lots of different spices and ingredients are added when the base is used to make a curry.

I'm going to make another batch later today (used-up the original batch :-) and this time it will be the full size, so I might be in a better position to comment.

One thing that strikes me is that it is really important to use large amounts of oil in the base, I was tempted to lower the quantity Darth says to use, because it seems excessive, but I didn't and I'm glad I didn't. I might add a bit more this time, and drain-off some of the excess to store and use in the final curry.

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 11:09 AM »
Hi Paul,

Lots of oil is essential for replicating the BIR taste\look and I think Darth recommends olive oil as well which for me is a no no.  There is a thread somewhere which oil is discussed in depth.  As for the scaling down debate I have never had a problem with making smaller quantities of my own base, there is a full on 30 onion
restaurant base on the forum if you feel like going all the way  :o

cK

©2024 Curry Recipes