Author Topic: Two pot base sauce method - anyone tried this?  (Read 2351 times)

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Two pot base sauce method - anyone tried this?
« on: March 31, 2005, 10:34 AM »
I was reading ghanna's post about CTM and it has two separate 'base' sauces, an onion one and a tomato one. Now I've seen this mentioned in several places and was wondering if anyone had either seen or heard second hand about this being normal practice in a regular curry house?

Offline ghanna

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Two pot base sauce method - anyone tried this?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 08:42 PM »
hi, yellowfingers
actually there are 3 main  kinds of gravy   :
1- boiled onion gravy ( onion, garlic,ginger, spices oil, water   boiled and then puree)
2-fried onion gravy (brown  onion ,ginger and garlic in oil ,then add water , cook and then puree )
3-  two kinds of tomato gravy   (both with garlic,ginger but  no onions ) one of them called Makhani gravy they add to it butter and cream  , the second they call Kadhai gravy  it is the same as Makhani gravy but without the butter and cream
there is a gravy called shahi ( royal ) gravy and it is made with boiled onion gravy plus yogurt , cream ,ground almonds or other kinds of nuts,poppy seeds, melon seeds and  rose water,kewra water and different kind of whole and ground spices.
there  are a lot of variations  of the Shahi (royal gravy ) like only using cream instead of yogurt and cream .or using coconut milk + creamed coconut instead of yogurt and cream.
what i mean Yellowfingers is there are 3 main gravies ,play with the ingredients and you will get different results
Indian restaurant her in the U.K seem like blending two gravies together (boiled onion gravy + kadhai tomato gravy together and cooking every kind of curry with this new gravy.
i hoe i helped
thanks
ghanna

©2024 Curry Recipes