Author Topic: Red onion stuff?  (Read 5329 times)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Red onion stuff?
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 06:13 PM »
hehe you forgot white onions :P they're a bit milder than the normal Spanish or English ;) but whenever we've had this sauce served in BIRs it's not usually made with red onions.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 06:20 PM by Dominatrixxx »

Offline EnglishVeggie

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 05:53 PM »
I would like to konw this one too.  It's a red coloured onion 'relish' type thing that comes with the poppadoms, along with lime pickle, mango chutney and onion salad.  I once asked how to make it in a restaurant in the town where I used to live in UK because there isn't a curry house within 50 miles of where I now live (and then they are all apalling and should be shut immediately under trade descriptions act). I'd had too much to drink and can't remember if I was even given quantities but the ingredients were

Chopped onions - white (described as 'ordinary')
Tomato Ketchup
Sugar
Tamarind paste
Vinegar
Red food colouring
Leaf coriander, finely chopped

Not necessarily in that order!!!  (I'm useless aren't I?)

I just keep botching together batches if I make a curry in the hope it will turn out right one day.  I just start with onions and ketchup and then taste as I go adding stuff until it tastes about right. Usually I don't bother with the tamarind paste and it doesn't seem to make any difference! Add food colouring so it goes that astonishing shade of pinky-red and leave in fridge for about a day.

If anyone knows a REAL RECIPE I would be eternally grateful, it's my fave chutney.

Ta
EV

Offline EnglishVeggie

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 06:00 PM »
Having looked at the link to Jeera's pakora sauce that is on this thread I see a similarity ie: mint sauce instead of coriander and lemon juice instead of vinegar (probably enough vinegar with the mint sauce anyway) but it looks like the basic idea I have is OK.  I bet Mr Waiter added the tamarind paste to make it sound more complicated  ;)  I will keep trying...

©2024 Curry Recipes