Poll

Who's happy with their curry making and why or why not?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Whos happy with what they can reproduce?  (Read 6132 times)

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Whos happy with what they can reproduce?
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2005, 07:25 AM »
Just my 2 penneth, you say not casia, I'm sure the restaurants use casia and not cinnamon (close relatives). In my Asian grocer they sell cassia marked as cinnamon.

Offline ghanna

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2005, 07:47 AM »
hi, George
 i agree with you , in the restaurant they use only one gravy and it include tomato in its ingredient.
the recipe that i wrote down is from a top chef in one of the first class Indian restaurant her in the U.K.
his advice was not to use any tomato products, i followed it and the taste was out of this world.
please note this recipe is not bland at all, there is a lot of spices in it ,but not the very harsh strong spices, its ?spices are very delicate because of that so many people who don't like Indian food like korma.
but if you like tomato in it you can use it.
please try it with and without the tomato and come back and tell us all about it
thanks
ghanna

Offline ghanna

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2005, 10:41 AM »
hi,MARK J
cinnamon stick and cassia park are as you mentioned from the same family .
but cinnamon stick taste is more refined and stronger than cassia.
cinnamon stick is more expensive than cassia park ,but in my opinion it worth the extra price.
restaurant use the cheapest ingredients  available and you are right they use cassia park .
they usually use it in rice dishes ( with other whole spices ),because it perfume the rice to a certain extent ,that it will fit for a king.
 korma is a delicate  dish used to be eaten by Indian royalty in courts and  palaces. chefs  cook it with the very expensive and rear spices, as an example the most three expansive spices in the world ( saffron ,cardmom,and royal cumin seeds ) are used in this dish .
real  rose water and kewra water is not cheap as well.
how much does it cost to cook a dish like this , including the time spend as well ?
thanks
ghanna

the restaurant method is as follows
curry gravy
creamed coconut  ( a small piece )
evaporated milk  ( this is the only thing i agree with, i tryied single cream before but it didnot  give the depth of taste that the evaporated milk gave )
some restaurant add nuts ,some don't
chicken,or meat or prawns.
cook the above over very very high heat ,until fat rise to the top of the curry  ......then enjoy.
thanks
ghanna

Offline curry_monster

• Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2005, 09:25 PM »
hi,

i'l never go to a restaurant again, or takeaway. only if im on holiday. that's how happy i am with what i reproduce although i will say u cant beat a few lager's down the local, and a takeaway curry for that quick fix lol :D mmmmmmmmm im hungry ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes