Author Topic: New Base Sauce Recipe -  (Read 166834 times)

Offline lorrydoo

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Sauce Recipe -
« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2007, 11:33 AM »
I have just made a bhuna this morning using this base.  It has been frozen for a week but this has not had much of an effect on the final curry, which is still excellent and  very close to a BIR curry.  So for me and a growing number of others, this is the best base by far, hurray.

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 15, 2007, 06:56 PM »
Hi all,  ;) I have done another batch of this base sauce today and I must say all went well. I left the onions frying for about 45Min's, and this time used a hand held blender. I ended up adding just over a pint of chicken stock in total a bit at a time, especially after adding the spice mix as it made the sauce a bit thick and splattered the cooker. I did manage to get the oil to rise so am looking forward to giving it a try out mid week. I did cook a basic Chicken Curry on Saturday using this base(picture in the gallery) as I was a bit short on time. The result was most enjoyable.

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 16, 2007, 07:50 AM »
Are you using chicken stock Haldi?  I find this helps with the quest for the BIR taste as does the addition of rose water.
I'm not using chicken stock
Are you using cubes?
I am doing a direct comparison, to a bought curry on my plate.
That is a very harsh test

Offline lorrydoo

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2007, 08:38 AM »
Hi Haldi, I dont use stock cubes as they can interfere with the separation of the oil.  I personally think that this base works well without adjustments but I always fry the onions for longer than prescribed.  Look forward to reading your next post,

Lorrydoo.

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2007, 10:19 PM »
I have been using this base for a few weeks now and in my opinion it has got to be the closest we have come to the real thing so far. Sorry Darth ( wherever you may be) but you just got relegated to second place my friend. I wonder what he, and some of the other older members who, sadly, know long contribute would have thought of this base.

A combination of, this base, a few simple spices and we are almost there......

I believe, through trial and error that, Fenugreek/Ground Coriander and Garam Masala
play an important part regarding taste/smell also ginger/garlic and green chili pepper....

After all, in a busy BIR kitchen you are going to want to keep it simple, makes sense to me..

Regards............mike   ;D

Offline Woks Up

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 30, 2007, 07:07 AM »
in my opinion it has got to be the closest we have come to the real thing so far

I accept that you think its the best of those youve tried mike but most people have only tried a couple of the many bases posted here.  Id suggest its difficult to make this judgement without trying them all.  Which have you tried?

Id be (am) bitterly disappointed to think that the best we can do, after 3 years and some 16000 posts, is to snaffle the recipe from a rick stein lamb and spinach curry recipe....you know, that well know Bangladeshi seafood chef from Cornwall :-\

A combination of, this base, a few simple spices and we are almost there......

Can you elaborate please?  Are you saying that this base, with minimal additional spices, comes close to replicating the bir taste and smell of a decent bir curry?  If so, I'll eat my......naah, id better not....im saving that for another occasion :P

The best curry base poll needs updating by the way  ;)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 09:37 AM by Woks Up »

Offline lorrydoo

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 31, 2007, 02:18 PM »
All I can say is I think this is by far the best base no matter where its origins are from.  I have tried Darths, ifindforu, kriss dillon, a variation of salamandas, the nataco base, bruce edwards and a couple I bought off ebay.

Why this base works, I dont know but I do know its easily the best Ive tried, very close to the real thing.

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 31, 2007, 09:23 PM »
Yes, I agree, having tried KD`s /Darth`s /Stew`s / Onions and now this one. I can only imagine that all the preparation is done during the day so that when it comes to getting the meal to the table on an evening it`s achieved in a short amount of time with, maybe a minimum of ingredients. I don`t know that for sure it`s just my assumpion. I am not saying "That`s all there is to it" fry a few spices then chuck in a base sauce. These Chefs take pride in what they do. In my local BIR the chef comes to the table to ask if you enjoyed your meal.

If the curry base poll was updated this base would get my vote as it works for me............... 

Offline Woks Up

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 01, 2007, 02:00 AM »
All I can say is I think this is by far the best base no matter where its origins are from

All you can say lorrydo is that you think this is the base from those that youve tried....half a dozen or so (ie a pretty limited number) from over 25 posted on this site alone

...and its a bit like finding the holy grail in the argos catalogue i feel....made in china too no doubt ;)

very close to the real thing.

Sorry loorydo, but i dont know what you mean by this?  Do you mean youve tried actual bases from restaurants?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 06:52 AM by Woks Up »

Offline lorrydoo

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 01, 2007, 10:54 AM »
Woks up, yes I have tried several bases from restaurants, they were part of the curries I was eating.  I am saying this is the best base that I have tried by far when combined with other ingredients i.e. Madrass, then it is very similar to the curries I have eaten over the years from various restaurants.

I hope this helps Cory.

©2024 Curry Recipes