Author Topic: New Base Sauce Recipe -  (Read 166819 times)

Offline Woks Up

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Sauce Recipe -
« Reply #110 on: August 01, 2007, 12:36 PM »
I have tried several bases from restaurants, they were part of the curries I was eating

yep, as i suspected thanks for clarifying that   ;)

this is the best base that I have tried by far when combined with other ingredients i.e. Madrass, then it is very similar to the curries I have eaten over the years from various restaurants

which madras recipe did you use please?  I would like to try the two together to see if its half as good as you claim it to be.  Im not too convinced by some of the photos ive seen so far :P
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 02:00 PM by Woks Up »

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 01, 2007, 04:25 PM »
Hi Woks 8)

I've used this base loads of time using many different curry recipes and each and every one has been top notch ;D Give it a go Woks....You might think the same as us others who have tried it and give it two thumbs up ;)

You can't tell what a curry tastes like from looking at a picture luv :P and I disagree with your "try other bases" attitude.....I've tried quite a few bases from this and other sites and this is without doubt the best recipe, I have found my holy grail......and they don't sell them at Argos :P :-*

Offline lorrydoo

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 01, 2007, 06:10 PM »
(edited by CA - link to recipe added)

Woks up, I used the Bruce Edwards Madras (see http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1952.msg16847;topicseen#msg16847) but by far the best curry I have ever made was a Bhuna using this base and Curry Kings recipe for the Bhuna.  The day after I made the Bhuna, I took some to work to hand round the staffroom as they know I am a curry freak and everyone thought I was pulling their legs and I had bought it from a takeaway and was trying to pass it off as my own.

At the end of the day, the best way to evaluate this base is to actually make it yourself or seek the advice of someone more knowledgeable than myself, say Cory Ander for instance.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 01:45 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline lorrydoo

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 01, 2007, 08:00 PM »
Just remembered, the first BIR I tried to make was the one by David Smith.  I was quite impressed at the time but it only made a small amount of sauce.   

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 02, 2007, 03:13 AM »
(posted by Mike Travis and edited by CA - comments on recipe moved to recipe section together with recipe)

I had a crack at David Smith`s and found the same..  ;D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 01:06 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Woks Up

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 02, 2007, 02:35 PM »
Give it a go Woks

i have given it a go dom  8)

You can't tell what a curry tastes like from looking at a picture luv :P

but if it looks like sh.....um...I mean a duck, then it probably is a duck.  Though granted it would be best to hear it quack just to be certain luv  ;)

I disagree with your "try other bases" attitude

i would call it more of an opinion rather than an attitude dom  :P  im pretty sure you cant say which is best unless youve tried them all.  Others may have different logic and therefore opinion of course but it beats me  :P

I have found my holy grail......and they don't sell them at Argos

thanks, ill try woolies then  ;D

good that you and others find it the best though, i take my hat off to you...but im b*ggered if im gonna eat it though lol  ;)

Offline brum_57

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 05, 2007, 08:53 PM »
Hi all - this looks spot on I cant wait to try it - one point tho I prefer to make up garlic paste then store it in ice cube fashion in the freezer any ideas how much paste would roughly equate to 15 cloves of garlic?

First post on here - greetings from Swansea (I'm originally from the baltilands of Brum)

Cheers - Kev

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 05, 2007, 09:28 PM »
Hi Kev,  ;) welcome. Nice to hear from an ex Midlander, I work in Brum not far from Aston. Don`t know about the Garlic question, I just use a whole bulb, that normally has about 15 cloves and it`s blended anyway... Look forward to your input chap ;)

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 05, 2007, 09:44 PM »
Cooked this base again this weekend and did a Bruce Edwards Madras.  :o  :o  :o That was a tongue stinger! Nice thou  :P .

I know earlier in this topic I said, this base and a few simple spices and we have cracked it. What I meant was, I have cracked it. Because to me this is the best so far. Before that it was Darth`s base, and a long long LONG time ago it was a Vesta boil in the bag Chicken Curry and rice.

Obviously we are at different stages in our Curry Schools, and everyone has to start somewhere.......... ;D 

Offline brum_57

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 06, 2007, 06:54 PM »
just made the base and its simmering away nicely - ill let that go for 3 hours then let it mature overnight before I freeze it - really smells the biz, not like any base ive made before and to answer my own question earlier re - garlic I found a whole tube of sharwoods garlic puree equates nicelly to 15 cloves :)

I forgot to get chilli powder when I visited my asian grocers today so had to use birds eye chilli flakes which ground up well in the grinder - may affect the final colour but not the heat - I like it hot  ::)

Shall knock up a madras tomorrow - cant wait :)

Cheers - Kev.

©2024 Curry Recipes