Author Topic: New Base Sauce Recipe -  (Read 166417 times)

Offline topconker

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Sauce Recipe -
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2007, 08:33 AM »
Hi Guys,
Made the base last night, took over 2 hours but well pleased with the result, I'll try to post a pic later.
Have a couple of questions as this is my first real foray into the art.
How much base is a ladle? (mls or fluid ounces?).
How do I pre-cook the meat?
How thick should the base be, mine resembles thick tomatoe sauce, should it be fairly thin, can I thin it down with something?
Really appreciate any help.
TC

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2007, 08:57 AM »
Hi TC ;)

The sauce is quite thick but I wouldn't water it down, I made another batch of this yesterday (using hot CP and smoked paprika, tastes great :D)  and I ended up with about a litre of sauce.

Most home ladles hold around 100ml (I think  ??? lol) although I never go by a "ladleful" simply because some people's are bigger than others lol (lucky buggers :P )....typically I make my batches up to 250 mls each  :)

Here are a couple of threads on pre-cooking meats...

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1232.0

OR

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=80.0

Hope this helps  :)

D ;D

« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 09:05 AM by Dominatrixxx »

Offline topconker

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2007, 09:07 AM »
Thanks Dom,
Am I right therefor to assume 250 mls would be the right amount for a single
curry or do I use 2? times the 250 mls?
Sorry if I sound thick but going to make a madras tonight once I work out how to pre-cook the chicken.
TC   

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2007, 09:13 AM »
250 mls should be enough to make a curry for 2 (depending on their appetites lol) although it sometimes depends upon the recipe you're making, some call for more base sauce than others). The bhuna I made using one batch of base made easily enough for me & him indoors though ;D

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2007, 09:50 AM »
Hi topconker,

Have a look here for a method for precooking chicken:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=158.0

You can also just bring it to the boil in some water with a teaspoon of turmeric, will come out nice and tender but won't have as much flavor.   I use both methods depedning on time.

Still not quite sure on this base yet I ate my madras and although was very nice seemed to be lacking something.  I am going to make one of fav's a lamb bhuna tonight so that will be the definitive test.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2007, 10:27 AM »
The spice mix can be hot if it contains Chili Powder anyway.

....but it doesn't Stew  ;)....unless I'm looking at the wrong one? (i.e. Bruce Edward's)  :P

....the curry base has a tablespoon in it, of course, so it's going to have a reasonable bite to it (and possibly unsuitable for mild dishes, such as Korma, Tikka Masala, etc?)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 11:49 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2007, 10:34 AM »
How much base is a ladle? (mls or fluid ounces?)

Hi TC,

How long is a piece of string TC  ;)  I've assumed that 1 ladle is 142ml (i.e 5 British fluid ounces) and hope that Stew is able to confirm this (or not!)  :P

How thick should the base be, mine resembles thick tomatoe sauce, should it be fairly thin, can I thin it down with something?

As Stew suggests, I would add sufficient water (or stock) to maintain a fairly thin "soup-like" consistency.  I would leave a lid on to prevent evaporation of water.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 01:46 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2007, 10:58 AM »
lol I've always thought that a standard ladle was 4 oz or 113 ml ??? Yours is bigger than mine Cory :P

Also I wouldn't add water to the base, instead I'd add more liquid to the final curry if it needed it :-\ It's horses for courses again I guess lol :P

Offline Richard W. Rinn

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2007, 10:59 AM »
I made this base last night as my frozen stocks of the last base I made had run out. One thing I was concerned about was that the onion absorbed the 1/2 cup of oil and then when it was pureed with the tomatoes etc and put back in the stock pot it wasn't very oily. I added about a tablespoon of veg oil about half way through simmering, but didn't want to push it, and didn't see any oil rising to the top after about 20 minutes cooking post-spice adding. Wasn't quite sure what sort of soup to aim for consistency-wise :-0, so kept adding water along the way and ended up with roughly a litre and a half of sauce. It's not runny?maybe sort of yoghurt-like consistency (just a little weight to it). At a guess, it could take a little more water, but not sure. Also wasn't sure how much stirring to do, so I erred on the side of more stirring to make sure nothing stuck to the bottom of the stock pot.

R.

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2007, 11:15 AM »
I added some boiling water when cooking after the blending, if you think about it most reports we have are that base's are fairly thin.  I find that if it's to thick the final curry doesn't come out right as I like a lot of runny sauce with mine.  As for the oil it does take quite a while to rise, about an hour and half for me.

©2024 Curry Recipes