Author Topic: New Base Sauce Recipe -  (Read 166874 times)

Offline topconker

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Sauce Recipe -
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2007, 01:54 PM »
Should also ask,
can I put this through the food processor again and re-simmer?
TC

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2007, 02:23 PM »
Hi TC,

Stick it back on the heat, bring to a simmer and stir in some boiled water until it's thinned out a bit.  You can then just leave it simmering until the oil rises, keep stirring and checking to make sure it doesn't thicken up to much.

cK

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2007, 03:45 PM »
I would add half a pint of chicken stock instead of water, makes all the difference.
Glad the base is working for you lot.

More pics would be good so we can compare

S

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2007, 07:16 PM »
Never seen a base sauce brown in colour before.   The restaurant kitchen I went into, the base sauce was orange and more often than not when been mentioned on this forum has been an orangey colour too. Wish Pete was about, he would confirm this as he has been into more bir kitchens for demo's than all of us.  With regard to the thickness or not of the base it should be quite runny.  If you have a thick base and start adding spices to it when making a curry it will thicken too much and you would have to let it down then with either water or stock.  CQ

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2007, 02:55 AM »
...wish Pete was about, he would confirm this as he has been into more bir kitchens for demo's than all of us....

Hi CQ, glad to see you back in action again!  8)

I agree with your comments about the colour and consistency of a BIR curry base.  And, don't fret unduly, I feel confident that Haldi will be able to confirm BIR observations on behalf of Pete!  ;)

Offline topconker

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2007, 08:41 AM »
Here's a photo after I had got to work with a stick blender, it's much more like a thin gravy now.
Added ? pint chicken stock and simmered for a further 45 minutes, the oil certainly has come to the top now.
Made the Madras recope as given and apart from being a tad dry it tasted brilliant, the best I've ever made.
Thanks guys.
TC

Offline Curry King

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2007, 09:45 AM »
Looks good TC let us know how your curry comes out.

Offline Richard W. Rinn

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2007, 11:59 AM »
So I made four curries with some of this base last night (two each for me and my girlfriend, one each for last night, one each for tonight). They were fantastic, as usual (!)  I'm always trying different recipes, so can't really comment on what I thought of the base versus other bases because I have no benchmark curry really, but I did like the fact that the base was smaller, and pretty simple to make, so will no doubt use this base recipe again.

Next time I make this base I will:

? Have a better idea of what consistency I'm aiming for (ended up adding more water last night and it 'seemed' right). Might experiment with adding stock instead of water, although I can't use chicken stock as my girlfriend is a vegetarian.

? Experiment with longer simmering (I let it simmer a while more before I used it last night, but would be interesting giving it a few hours).

? Blend in two batches, as I think the whole thing was a bit much for my blender to do a good job on, even though it fitted in the jug (re-blended it before use last night as it wasn't quite smooth enough, I thought).

R.

Offline Richard W. Rinn

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2007, 01:04 PM »
Greg - I made two chicken ceylons, a mixed vegetable ceylon* and a mixed vegetable chilli masala (only four chillies, not ten!), from another site, although the veggie ones were based on chicken recipes. Not quite following the rules, heh, but tasted great.

* - across the three ceylons, I managed to use the whole wee pot of cream and the whole lemon's juice, which I was most pleased with.  :-)  Even managed to put a good dent in my creamed coconut block! :-)

R.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 03:37 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Curry King

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2007, 09:46 AM »
Heres the lamb bhuna I made with this base.

This has to be one of the best currys I have made it had more of a natural sweetness than my usual base which worked a treat for this, not so well in the madras I made so next time I will add a little lemon juice.

Great base that I will be using again and will try tweaking it a little.

©2024 Curry Recipes