Author Topic: New Base Sauce Recipe -  (Read 166840 times)

Offline Richard W. Rinn

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Sauce Recipe -
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2007, 02:01 PM »
p.s. Just remembered, one thing I found different about this base was that I felt it left me more 'garlicky' (i.e. breath etc) than I've felt with other bases, or indeed restaurant curries in general.

Offline lorrydoo

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2007, 06:00 PM »
Hi Richard, I personally prefer a hand blender because you can blend without adding air to the base (if you keep it submerged in the sauce at all times then it doesn't suck any air in). 

Lorrydoo.

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2007, 09:26 PM »
Hi team,  ;) I know what you mean about the smell Stew, I was passing my local BIR during the morning and they must have been prepairing stuff for the evening. The window was open and the smell that came from it was the smell you get when cooking the onion/garlic/ginger and tomato mix.

Richard, I also transfered the mix to a blender and washed out the pot, so maybe thats how we lost that oil.

As to the consistency this looked about right to me based on my local BIR. I had a Madras from there on Friday and it was hot,sweet and had that chutney look to it. I spent more time dissecting it mouthful by mouthful. It had bits of red/green chili peppers and thin slices of tomato. I also bit into two cardamom pods, don't know if they had been cooked with the meal or had come out of the base sauce. I might have a stab at making a Madras based on what was in that takeaway and use Stew`s base.

Offline Richard W. Rinn

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2007, 12:13 AM »
Richard, I also transfered the mix to a blender and washed out the pot, so maybe thats how we lost that oil.

Wonder if there's another way then, short of buying a hand held blender... I suppose more oil!

By the way, my curry base was the same consistency as yours when I finished making it, but then next day I re-blended it and added more water until it stayed 'flat' on top, instead of leaving spoon trails/terrain (!!), aiming for the 'tomato soup' consistency mentioned elsewhere. Seemed to work well enough when cooking, and it thickened back up a bit.

Lettuce know once you've cooked summit with it what you think of the garlic level, Mike.

R.

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2007, 11:55 AM »
Hi Mike ;)

Yours looks exactly the same as mine, which is a thicker consistency than some other bases I've made (I think I said it before) but I wouldn't advise anyone to water it down further as it seems to lose a fair bit of the depth of the flavour (even though I didn't add all that much liquid :-\).

@RWR I'm a garlic lover so the garlicky taste suits me fine ;D but I wouldn't say that it was overpowering in any way :) I haven't managed to knock anyone down with my breath yet lol.

I think that walkers BBQ flavour crisps have a far more damaging effect garlic-wise on the breath.....I can smell when someone's had them from across a crowded street :o

But isn't that what extra strong mints were created for? ;D

Offline Richard W. Rinn

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2007, 12:04 PM »
Yours looks exactly the same as mine, which is a thicker consistency than some other bases I've made (I think I said it before) but I wouldn't advise anyone to water it down further as it seems to lose a fair bit of the depth of the flavour (even though I didn't add all that much liquid :-\).

Seemed alright to me when cooking with it, more watered down, didn't end up with a watery sauce or anything. Whether a lot of flavour escaped via steam I can't say, but the curries I made with it were very tasty...

@RWR I'm a garlic lover so the garlicky taste suits me fine ;D but I wouldn't say that it was overpowering in any way :) I haven't managed to knock anyone down with my breath yet lol.

Yep, quite happy eating it, just haven't noticed that level of after effect with other curries, so thought it worth pointing out as I wouldn't expect to be that garlicky after a restaurant curry.

But isn't that what extra strong mints were created for? ;D

Will try adding a packet of them next time I do more base.  ;-)

R.

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2007, 12:32 PM »
LOL! If the mint trick works, lemme know and I'll have a pop at adding toilet roll to my vindaloos :D

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2007, 09:53 PM »
Hi folks,  ;) I find that if the base sauce is too smooth and creamy like I got with KD`s base, then to get that "chutney" look to my curry I have to stir fry then blend a couple of onions and add this to the base. This base already has that "chutney" look about it. I will have a crack at replicating that Madras I had from the local BIR at the weekend.

I think this is a big step in the right direction as this base is, simple, contains few ingredients, the ingredients are inexpensive and my house smelt like that BIR down the road.

I love garlic, so this amount was no problem.

Offline lorrydoo

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2007, 08:50 PM »
This is a link to the Rick Stein curry recipe that Admin mentioned concerning this new base.  It claims to be the only curry recipe you will ever need.

http://www.arax15.dsl.pipex.com/

Offline mike travis

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 11, 2007, 09:09 PM »
Edited by CA.  Chicken Curry recipe moved to recipes section here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1936.0

Hi,  ;) couldn't wait till the weekend so gave it a go tonight.

It tasted very similar to Darth`s Madras curry.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 02:18 AM by Cory Ander »

©2024 Curry Recipes