Author Topic: New Base Sauce Recipe -  (Read 166850 times)

Offline www.currynationuk.co.uk

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: New Base Sauce Recipe -
« Reply #270 on: July 05, 2010, 12:44 PM »
tried this base last night.  it looks absolutely great!  gonna make a madras with it tonight

Offline currypot94

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 23, 2010, 11:00 AM »
for some reason nothing is going down after i put the tinned tomatoes in e.g its been 45 mins and the garlic bulbs are still whole, is this ment to happen???

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 23, 2010, 12:10 PM »
Method
1. Take a stock pot
2. Heat veg oil
3. Add Onions fry until softened or until they turn a little darker (15 to 20 mins), this should take the acid out of them.
4. Blend onions with 1 tin toms, garlic bulbs, ginger & some water until become a puree / has a soup like texture.
5  Put the puree into the stock pot on a medium heat add 1 teaspoon salt.
6. Cook gently (medium high heat) until starting to become darker, this could be an hour or so, keep it going the longer the better, add water or cup chicken stock iif becomes to thick.
7. Add the ground spices (coriander/cumin/chili/paprika/turmeric) into the puree and stir
8. Cook until the oil rises to the top this is the sign the base sauce is ready, but make sure it is dark.

Offline currypot94

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 23, 2010, 01:15 PM »
Somthing tells me i read that wrong
D/w now currypot65 helped me out :D

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 24, 2010, 10:57 PM »
Moderator delete please.

Offline hcoool

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 15, 2010, 07:35 PM »
Just doing this now and it's my first attempt at making any base. I'm at the final stage now and it's been simmering for about 1 hour but I think I've added too much spice.

I followed the recipe but perhaps my tablespoon is bigger than most! It seems very thick so I'm adding chicken stock regulary but it's tasting grainy although it does smell superb.

Hopefully it'll be ok.

Offline hcoool

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 15, 2010, 09:10 PM »
Well after about 3 and a half hours simmering no oil has risen, all I'm getting is froth.

I couldn't wait any longer as I was starving so I made a very basic prawn curry using this base and Razors spice mix and it was very nice. Probably nearer to the real thing than I've ever made before but definately room for improvement!

I've turned the heat off now and will sort it out in the morning. It will probably taste better tomorrow night as I've been tasting it about every 10 minutes.

All in all fairly happy with my first attempt.

Offline hcoool

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 15, 2010, 09:12 PM »
Just noticed the time on the forum is an hour slow so it's been simmering 2 and half hours not 3 and a half. I was wondering where that time went!

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 16, 2010, 08:31 AM »
hcool,

i've not made this base but always had it in mind down to the higher proportion of garlic than i am pretty sure any other base on the site.

i reckon 3 large onions is ~500g (based on 170g ea) and 15 garlic cloves 110g (based on 7.5g ea). pro rata on an 800gm based which is my std size gives 175g of garlic c/w the most i've used at 60g ie x3 my norm.

i'm looking at upping my garlic and would appreciate your thoughts on how the garlic sits in your base and the dishes u make - do u get an after taste of garlic a few hours after eating or the next day. this i don't at the mo and would like to.

Offline Fi5H

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 16, 2010, 05:55 PM »
Jerry, I`ve done this base a couple of times and its a very spicy base, good for hotter dishes but if you have mild curry lovers in the house like me then its too spicy, next time Im going to leave the chilli powder out and add that to the main dish, I did notice it was a grainy base, even after its been frozen then thaw`d I have to give it a 2nd zap in the liquidizer  and add more stock. I didn't notice any considerable after taste of garlic... but my wife would be the best one to ask...

Andy

©2024 Curry Recipes